Blind Willie McTell Last Session
LOW STOCK: Only 2 copies left
|You Save:||$1.90 (10% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- by Blind Willie McTell ~ The Best of Blind Willie McTell ~ $16.18
- by Blind Willie McTell ~ The Classic Years 1927-1940 (4-CD Box Set) ~ $26.08
- by Blind Willie Johnson ~ The Complete Recordings of Blind Willie Johnson (2-CD) ~ $14.69
- Hand Me My Travelin' Shoes: In Search of Blind Willie McTell ~ $19.98 (Save 26%)
- Released: 1992
- Originally Released: 1992
- Label: Obc
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Personnel: Blind Willie McTell (vocals, guitar, 12-string guitar).
Audio Remasterer: Phil DeLancie.
Liner Note Authors: Dr. David Evans ; Samuel Charters.
Recording information: Atlanta, GA (09/1956).
This recording has a less-than-stellar reputation, principally because it was done so late in McTell's career, and it is true that he lacks some of the edge, especially in his singing, that he showed on his other postwar recordings. On the other hand, his 12-string playing is about as nimble as ever and a real treat. McTell cut these sides for record store owner Ed Rhodes, who had begun taping local bluesmen at his shop in Atlanta in the hope of releasing some of it -- McTell took to the idea of recording only slowly, then turned up one night and played for the microphone and anyone who happened to be listening, finishing a pint of bourbon in the process -- the result was a pricelessly intimate document, some of the words slurred here and there, but brilliantly expressive and stunningly played. No apologies are needed for "The Dyin' Crapshooter's Blues," "Don't Forget It," or "Salty Dog," however. McTell lived a few more years but never recorded again, which is a pity because based on this tape he still had a lot to show people. Rhodes never did anything with the tapes, and might've junked them if he hadn't remembered how important the McTell material was -- they turned out to be the only tapes he saved, out of all he'd recorded. ~ Bruce Eder
Lead BellyLegend of Leadbelly - Goodnight Irene - 17 of His Most... (CD)
$5.97 on SALE
Lead BellyParty Songs / Sings And Plays (with Woody Guthrie, Josh... (CD)
$7.49 on SALE
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 4 ratings.
Based on 4 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
The Complete Recorded Works, Volume 3: 1929-1930 (CD)
$15.16 Super Savings
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock (10-CD Set) ~ $19.98 on SALE
- Various Artists KFRC 99.7FM - Motown, Soul & Rock 'N Roll: Rock 'N Roll (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists WJMK 104.3 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 60s (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists WCBS FM101.1 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 70s (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE