- Rated: R
- Run Time: 1 hours, 31 minutes
- Video: Black & White
- Released: July 1, 2008
- Originally Released: 1999
- Label: Legend Films
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
- Aspect Ratio: Widescreen - 1.85
- (unspecified) - French
- Subtitles - English
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Variety - 04/05/1999
"...[A] baroque and vertiginous workout for the emotions..."
USA Today - 07/28/2000
"...Paradis is a most striking subject....Visually enticing..." -- 3.5 out of 4 stars
New York Times - 07/28/2000
"...Shot in sumptuous black and white, replete with dizzy, swooping shots of Paris, Monaco, Athens and Istanbul, GIRL ON THE BRIDGE is like a pocket anthology of your favorite foreign movies..."
Rolling Stone - 08/31/2000
"...A hypnotic French film shot in striking black and white..."
Los Angeles Times - 07/28/2000
"...Locale is crucial here, and Monte Carlo, Athens and Istanbul are a wonderful trio of cities for glamorous romance, intrigue and danger -- and they could not seem more richly atmospheric with Dreujou's lush camerawork..."
Chicago Sun-Times - 08/04/2000
"...What's best about this movie is its playfulness..."
Wall Street Journal - 04/17/2014
"[A] French-language fairy tale with an erotic charge."
Saved in the last moment from throwing herself off of a bridge, a young woman (Vanessa Paradis), is convinced by her rescuer, a knife thrower (Daniel Auteuil), to accompany him in his performance and travel with him around France. The two are an unlikely pair, but their connection is bittersweet, and gradually they fall in love. This clever black and white film from director Patrice Leconte promises to delight and surprise.
- Theatrical release: July 28, 2000.
- The film was nominated for eight Cesar awards, and Daniel Auteuil won for Best Actor. The film was also nominated for a Golden Globe award as Best Foreign Film and was named Best Foreign Film by the Las Vegas Film Critics Society.
- Vanessa Paradis (Adele) has been a major pop star in her native France since the age of fourteen.
- Vanessa Paradis was Patrice Leconte's inspiration for the role of Adele. Screenwriter Serge Frydman kept a magazine photo of Paradis tacked on his office wall as he wrote the film.