- Released: January 28, 2008
- Label: EMI Europe Generic
Uncut - p.82
"OUTSIDE THE GATE sees Coleman back at his apocalyptic best, delivering a string of anti-corporate diatribes..."
- 1.America - (remix)
- 2.My Love of This Land
- 3.Stay One Jump Ahead - (remix)
- 4.Unto the Ends of the Earth
- 5.The Calling
- 8.Outside the Gate
- 9.May Day - (extended mix, previously unreleased)
- 10.My Love of This Land - (extended mix, previously unreleased)
- 11.Obsession - (previously unreleased)
- 12.Unto the Ends of the Earth - (previously unreleased, instrumental)
- 14.America - (Extended Mix)
- 15.Stay One Jump Ahead - (remix, previously unreleased)
Audio Mixer: Glen Skinner.
Audio Remasterer: Steve Rooke.
Liner Note Author: Tony Raven.
Recording information: Eden Studios (07/??/1987-12/24/1987); Terminal 24 (07/??/1987-12/24/1987); The Whitehouse (07/??/1987-12/24/1987).
Outside the Gate was not originally meant to be a Killing Joke album, at least not by the band. It was a solo album by lead singer Jaz Coleman -- with KJ guitarist Geordie Walker helping out -- until the record label got the band's name onto the cover. Here Coleman tries to become a bona fide singer rather than just a vocalist, and turns his usual growl and shout into a croon, acting as if he's Freddie Mercury and David Bowie mashed together. This album may be of interest to some completists. ~ David Jeffries