Nipper's Greatest Hits: The 50's, Volume 1
by Various Artists
- Released: October 25, 1990
- Originally Released: 1988
- Label: RCA
- 1.Dinah ShoreMy Heart Cries For You
- 2.Mario LanzaBe My Love
- 3.Pee Wee King And His Golden West CowboysSlow Poke
- 4.Eartha KittC'Est Si Bon (It's So Good)
- 5.Perez Prado & His OrchestraCherry Pink & Apple Blossom White
- 6.Eddy ArnoldThe Cattle Call
- 7.Eddie FisherDungaree Doll
- 8.Kay StarrThe Rock And Roll Waltz
- 9.Elvis PresleyHeartbreak Hotel
- 10.Harry BelafonteBanana Boat (Day-O)
- 11.The Ames BrothersMelodie D' Amour (Melody Of Love)
- 12.Perry ComoCatch A Falling Star
- 13.Lou MonteLazy Mary
- 14.Don GibsonOh Lonesome Me
- 15.Hank LocklinSend Me The Pillow
- 16.Jesse BelvinGuess Who
- 17.Floyd RobinsonMakin' Love
- 18.The BrownsThe Three Bells (Les Trois Cloches)
- 19.Neil SedakaOh! Carol
- 20.Jim ReevesHe'll Have To Go
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Includes liner notes by Ron Furmanek and Steve Kolanjian.
Digitally remastered by Joe Lopes (1988, RCA Studios, New York, New York).
Personnel: Jim Reeves, Dinah Shore, Don Gibson, Eartha Kitt, Eddie Fisher , Eddy Arnold, Elvis Presley, Floyd Robinson, Hank Locklin, Harry Belafonte, Jesse Belvin, Kay Starr, Lou Monte, Mario Lanza , Neil Sedaka, Pee Wee King, P‚rez Prado, Perry Como, Redd Stewart (vocals); Millard Thomas (guitar); Bill Regis (trumpet).
Recording information: RCA Sound Studios, New York, NY.
The 1950s are generally seen as the first blooming of rock & roll, but there was still an awful lot of pop music on the charts, and this set spotlights a large chunk of it. In between a breakthrough record like "Heartbreak Hotel" there was sprightly fare on either side of it, like Pee Wee King's "Slow Poke," Eddie Fisher's "Dungaree Doll," Perry Como's "Catch a Falling Star," and Lou Monte's "Lazy Mary." Although Jesse Belvin ("Guess Who") and Neil Sedaka ("Oh! Carol") make appearances here, this is by and large a pop collection with only a smattering of the rock & roll style that would soon dominate the charts. Tracks by Dinah Shore, Mario Lanza, the Browns, Jim Reeves, Harry Belafonte, Don Gibson, the Ames Brothers, Kay Starr, Eddy Arnold, Perez Prado, and Eartha Kitt complete the package. ~ Cub Koda
WCBS FM101.1 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 70s (CD)
$2.98 on SALE
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 2 ratings.
Based on 2 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!