Nina Simone Very Best of Nina Simone 1967-1977 (2-CD)
|You Save:||$3 (10% Off)|
Temporarily Out of Stock: We'll get more as soon as possible
Format: CD (2 Discs)
- Number of Discs: 2
- Released: July 28, 1998
- Originally Released: 1998
- Label: RCA
Vibe - 12/99, p.164Included in Vibe's 100 Essential Albums of the 20th Century - "A fierce interpretive singer, arranger, pianist, Simone sings virtually every genre of song...with a bluesy, self-assured artistry that soothes and intimidates in equal measure..."
Tracks on Disc 1:
- 1.My Man's Gone Now
- 2.Since I Fell For You
- 3.I Want A Little Sugar In My Bowl
- 4.Do I Move You (Version II)
- 5.Blues For Mama
- 6.Backlash Blues
- 7.In The Dark
- 9.Go To Hell
- 10.I Wish I Knew How It Would Feel To Be Free
- 11.Turning Point
- 12.Turn Me On
- 13.The Look Of Love
- 14.To Love Somebody
- 15.I Can't See Nobody
- 16.In The Morning
- 17.Do What You Gotta Do
- 18.Ain't Got No / I Got Life
- 19.Please Read Me
- 20.Martin Luther King Suite: Sunday In Savannah
- 21.Martin Luther King Suite: Why (The King Of Love Is Dead)
- 22.Martin Luther King Suite: Mississippi Goddam
Tracks on Disc 2:
- 1.I Think It's Going To Rain Today
- 2.I Get Along Without You Very Well (Except Sometimes)
- 3.Nobody's Fault But Mine
- 4.Another Spring
- 6.Seems I'm Never Tired Lovin' You
- 7.I Shall Be Released
- 8.To Be Young, Gifted And Black
- 9.Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues
- 10.Suzanne (Previously Unreleased)
- 11.My Father / Dialog (Previously Unreleased)
- 12.Jelly Roll (Previously Unreleased)
- 13.Tell It Like It Is (Previously Unreleased)
- 14.Mr. Bojangles
- 15.Here Comes The Sun
- 16.Ooh Child
- 18.22nd Century (Previously Unreleased)
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Personnel includes: Nina Simone (vocals, conductor); Sammy Lowe, Jimmy Wisner, Horace Ott, Weldon Irvine, Harold Wheeler (conductor).
Producers: Danny Davis, Joe Rene, Stroud Productions And Enterprises, Inc., C.F.N.S.
Compilation producer: Paul Williams.
Recorded between 1967 and 1972. Includes liner notes by David Nathan.
Nina Simone's five-year tenure at RCA Records found her deviating only slightly from the traditions established at her previous corporate home, Philips Records. The political content is slightly reduced, and there are a few more covers of pop songs, including four Bee Gees tunes (highlighted by a surprisingly effective solo take on the relatively obscure "Please Read Me") and Randy Newman's oft-covered "I Think It's Going To Rain Today." Simone never sold out, though: in one of the four previously unreleased tracks, Simone breaks off a version of Judy Collins' "My Father" after a single verse, calmly telling her producer that she's not going to sing the song because she feels no connection with the sentimental lyrics. This two-disc collection is considerably less complete than the four-disc box set of Simone's Philips work, FOUR WOMEN, but in focusing on Simone's vocal power and subtle interpretive skills, it makes an effective argument for the somewhat contrarian view that her RCA years were equal, if not superior, to her earlier work.
Nina SimoneFour Women: The Nina Simone Phillips Recordings (4-CD)
$38.65 Super Savings
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 30 ratings.
Based on 30 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Country Top Hits of the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s (4-CD)
$19.98 on SALE