Buzzcocks A Different Kind of Tension (2-CD)
|You Save:||$2.70 (10% Off)|
Temporarily Out of Stock: We'll get more as soon as possible
Format: CD (2 Discs)
- Number of Discs: 2
- Released: October 28, 2008
- Label: EMI France
Rolling Stone - p.704 stars out of 5 -- "[I]ncluding masterworks like the pop fan's anthem 'Harmony In My Head' and the throbbing 'Why Can't I Touch It,' a perfect summation of the 'Cocks worldview."
Q - 5/02 SE, p.135Included in Q's "100 Best Punk Albums" - "...This album contains the glorious epitome of Pete Shelley's fathomlessly wistful take on affairs of the heart..."
Mojo (Publisher) - p.1164 stars out of 5 -- "It hardly chimed with the times but, fragmented and seemingly without direction, A DIFFERENT KIND OF TENSION now resembles a punk-era THE WHITE ALBUM."
Record Collector (magazine) - p.884 stars out of 5 -- "The sparkling innocence was replaced by a darker poignancy and self-doubt, but he music was no less compelling..."
Tracks on Disc 1:
- 2.Sitting 'Round At Home
- 3.You Say You Don't Love Me
- 4.You Know You Can't Help It
- 5.Mad Mad Judy
- 6.Raison D'etre
- 7.I Don't Know What To Do With My Life
- 9.Hollow Inside
- 10.A Different Kind Of Tension
- 11.I Believe
- 12.Radio Nine
- 13.Everybody's Happy Nowadays [Bonus Track]
- 14.Why Can't I Touch It [Bonus Track]
- 15.Harmony In My Head [Bonus Track]
- 16.Something's Gone Wrong Again [Bonus Track]
Tracks on Disc 2:
- 1.Are Everything
- 2.Why She's A Girl From The Chainstore
- 3.Airwaves Dream
- 4.Strange Thing
- 5.What Do You Know?
- 6.Running Free
- 7.I Look Alone
- 8.You Say You Don't Love Me [Demo]
- 9.I Don't Know What To Do With My Life [Demo]
- 10.Harmony In My Head [Demo]
- 11.I Don't Know [Demo]
- 12.Run Away From Home [Demo]
- 13.The Drive System [Demo]
- 14.Mad Mad July [Demo]
- 15.Jesus Made me Feel Guilty [Demo]
- 16.Something's Gone Wrong Again [Backing Track]
- 17.You Know You Can't Help It
- 18.I Believe July 1979 Arrow-Chronology
- 19.Everybody's Happy Nowadays [Peel Session]
- 20.I Don't Know What To Do With My Life [Peel Session]
- 21.Mad Mad Judy [Peel Session]
- 22.Hollow Inside [Peel Session]
The Buzzcocks: Pete Shelley (vocals, guitar, keyboards); Steve Diggle (vocals, guitar); Steve Garvey (bass); John Maher (drums).
All tracks have been digitally remastered.
The Buzzcocks' third record builds on the snappy songcraft, buzzsaw precision, and powerful punk-pop energy of their first two albums. "Paradise," the opening track, shows Pete Shelley hadn't lost any ground in penning memorably hooky gems that have the tunefulness of 1960s pop, the fierce bite of punk, and the nervous, push-pull feel of New Wave all at once. "You Say You Don't Love Me" and "Raison d'Etre" follow suit, while "I Don't Know What to Do with My Life" pursues classic punk themes of alienation and self-doubt.
There is plenty of energy here, like the straight-up, pogo-inducing tempo of "Mad Mad Judy," but A DIFFERENT KIND OF TENSION also shows the British band expanding its horizons. The distinctly post-punk-sounding "Hollow Inside," which takes a cue from fellow Manchester pioneers Joy Division, works a haunting, arpeggiated guitar line and an ominous repeated lyric that Shelley sings as a kind of drone. The title track, too, with its disquieting rhythms, phased guitar, and electronically manipulated voice snippets, is one of the group's most progressive statements. Energetic, cleanly executed, and bristling with fresh ideas, TENSION is an important addition to the catalogue of this seminal band.
WCBS FM101.1 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 70s (CD)
$2.98 on SALE
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 13 ratings.
Based on 13 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Ultimate Rock & Roll Time Capsule, Volume 3 - Disc 2 (CD)
$1.98 on SALE