Harry Nilsson Nilsson Schmilsson [US Bonus Tracks]
Only 6 copies left
|You Save:||$0.80 (10% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: January 13, 2004
- Originally Released: 2004
- Label: RCA
Rolling Stone - 2/17/72, p.48"...the cutting edge of NILSSON SCHMILSSON is still Harry's singing. One gets the feeling that he could make something significant out of even the most banal or lackluster songs..."
Mojo (Publisher) - 9/00, p.88"...His most successful album....sporadically excellent....represents a creative flowering that extended to several unissued classics..."
NME (Magazine) - 9/23/00, p.356 out of 10 - "...[The album] spawned a massive hit with his cover of Badfinger's 'Without You'...as well as a clutch of decent rockers, even if it's a tad too zany."
- 1.Gotta Get Up
- 2.Driving Along
- 3.Early In The Morning
- 4.The Moonbeam Song
- 6.Without You
- 8.Let The Good Times Roll
- 9.Jump Into The Fire
- 10.I'll Never Leave
- 11.Si No Estas Tu (Spanish Version Of "Without You")
- 12.How Can I Be Sure Of You
- 13.The Moonbeam Song (Demo Version)
- 15.Old Forgotten Soldier (Demo Version)
- 16.Gotta Get Up (Demo Version)
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Originally released on RCA (4515).
Personnel: Harry Nilsson (vocals, harmonica, piano, electric piano, organ, Mellotron); Harry Nilsson; Klaus Voormann (guitar, acoustic guitar, bass instrument); George Tipton, Paul Buckmaster (strings); Richard Perry (Mellotron, drums, percussion); Herbie Flowers (bass instrument); John Uribe (guitar, acoustic guitar); Chris Spedding, Caleb Quaye (guitar); Ian Duck (acoustic guitar); Henry Krein (accordion); Bobby Keys (saxophone); Jim Price (trumpet, trombone); Gary Wright (piano, organ); Jimmy Webb (piano); Roger Coolen (organ); Jim Gordon (drums, percussion); Jim Keltner, Roger Pope (drums).
Liner Note Author: Curtis Armstron.
Recording information: Island Studios, London, England (03/01/1968-06/13/1971); RCA Studios, Hollywood, CA (03/01/1968-06/13/1971); Trident Studios, London, England (03/01/1968-06/13/1971).
Photographer: Dean Torrence.
Unknown Contributor Role: Harry Anger.
Arrangers: Jim Price ; George Tipton.
Produced by Barbara Streisand's producer Richard Perry, 1971's NILSSON SCHMILSSON retains all of Harry Nilsson's wonderful songwriting and warm singing, but presents them in a decidedly rock-based setting. Nilsson's decision to combine his quirky, tongue-in-cheek Tin Pan Alley aesthetic with rock arrangements proved to be a successful one, and contributions from a stellar cast of British and American studio regulars didn't hurt either. The result was the artist's most focused, consistent, and accessible album. It also heralded Nilsson's commercial breakthrough.
From the opening notes of "Gotta Get Up," Nilsson is in complete control, fronting the proceedings with grace and ease. The album yielded a number of hits: "Coconut" (as in "put the lime in the coconut") and "Jump Into the Fire" were two, but his highest chart placement came with a song he didn't write, "Without You," a song penned by the English band Badfinger. (Those familiar with "Without You" but unfamiliar with Nilsson's other material may be surprised by what they find here). Witty and idiosyncratic, yet always defined by a consummate pop craftsmanship, NILSSON/SCHMILSSON is immensely pleasurable, and remains one of the artist's best recordings.
OLDIES 103FM - The 70's - Tenth Anniversary Ed. (CD)
$5.93 LABOR DAY
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 77 ratings.
Based on 77 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Top ranking titles in the Pop / Rock genre:
- Various Artists Sounds of The Fabulous Fifties (Limited Distribution) (3-CD Box Set) ~ $8.48 LABOR DAY
- Various Artists WCBS FM101.1 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 70s (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Jimmy Buffett Down To Earth / High Cumberland Jubilee (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Get It On: The Seventies DVD Jukebox ~ $2.38 on SALE
Top ranking CD:
- Johnny Cash Original Golden Hits, Volumes 1 & 2 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Pat Benatar The Best of Volume 1 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Soft Rock 70'S (CD) ~ $5.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock (10-CD Set) ~ $19.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - JukeBox Giants, Volume 2 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE