Hines Shines (Featuring Muggsy Spanier)
From the Vaults of Everest Records (series)
|You Save:||$2 (40% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
by Fats Waller ~ The Complete Recorded Works, Volume 2: A Handful of Keys (4-CD) $24.26
by Earl Hines ~ Only The Best of Earl Hines (4-CD)
- Released: March 27, 2007
- Originally Released: 2007
- Label: Collectables Records
Description by OLDIES.com:
Earl Hines is considered by historians to be the first modern jazz pianist. His unique style influenced great performers such as Teddy Wilson and Nat King Cole. This release includes renditions of "Savoy Blues" and "When The Saints Go Marching In."
- 2.Dark Eyes
- 3.Blues For Garroway
- 5.The Web
- 6.Hollywood Hop
- 7.A Jumpin's Something
- 8.It's Right There For You
- 9.Savoy Blues
- 10.Apex Blues
- 11.When The Saints Go Marching In
- 12.Won't You Go Home Bill Bailey
- 13.Pop's Blues
Personnel includes: Earl Hines (piano); Muggsy Spanier.
Personnel: Earl Hines (piano); Muggsy Spanier.
Previously released by Delta/Laserlight in 1993, Hines Shines is a slapdash budget compilation mashing together seven sides cut by Earl Hines, his piano and orchestra during the late '40s with six tunes recorded in 1954 by a Dixieland band under the leadership of Hines and old-time cornet/trumpet man Muggsy Spanier. Their excellent old-fashioned ensemble featured trombonist Jimmy Archey, clarinetist Darnell Howard, bassist George "Pops" Foster and drummer Earl Watkins. This information was not provided by the folks at Collectables; although other albums in the Collectables catalog include personnel listings, session dates and sometimes even recording locations, this Earl Hines sampler comes with only a perfunctory bio. Now that this glaring drawback has been described, let it be said that the music itself is pleasantly rewarding. Repertoire for the first half of the program includes Antonin Dvor k's "Humoresque," the traditional gypsy melody "Dark Eyes," the attractive "Intermezzo" from Pietro Mascagni's opera Cavalleria Rusticana, and four Hines originals. Highlights from the Hines/Spanier session include "Pop's Blues," a feature for Pops Foster's primeval, heavy-handed bass fiddle, and a very nice version of Perry Bradford's "It's Right Here for You" sloppily mistitled "It's Right There for You." Unfortunately, the Collectables label is becoming notorious for generating misspelled or incorrectly phrased song titles; their margin of error is quite high. This is monumentally great music, even if it has been carelessly reissued. Anyone craving more of the excellent New Orleans/Chicago style traditional jazz heard on Hines Shines may obtain the entire original album of 1954 broadcasts issued by Storyville in 1998 as Earl Hines with Muggsy Spanier: Chicago Dates. ~ arwulf arwulf
Live At The Black Sheep, San Francisco, 1961 (2-CD)
$13.27 Super Savings
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 2 ratings.
Based on 2 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 39,697
- UPC: 090431084328
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
The Best of the 1910 Fruitgum Company: Simon Says (CD)(17)
- Nat Adderley Hummin' (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Alisha Bounce Back (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- The Allures "Acappella" Starlight Sessions, Volume 1 (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Marc Almond Tenement Symphony (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Ernestine Anderson New Sound Of (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
From the Vaults of Everest Records Product Series:
- Aussie Bush Band Bush Songs From The Australian Outback (CD) ~ $1.98 on SALE
- Gene Autry Back in the Saddle Again (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Gene Autry His Christmas Album (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Pearl Bailey / Louie Bellson Pearl Bailey And Louis Bellson (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Charlie Barnet Volume 1 - Cherokee (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE