- Rated: R
- Closed captioning available
- Run Time: 1 hours, 43 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: May 22, 2001
- Originally Released: 1984
- Label: MGM (Video & DVD)
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Aspect Ratio: Letterbox - 2.35
- Aspect Ratio: Widescreen - 2.35
- Dolby Digital Mono - English
- Dolby Digital Mono - French
- Dolby Digital Mono - Spanish
- Additional Release Material:
- Trailers: Original Theatrical Trailer
Performers, Cast and Crew:
New York Times - 02/15/1985
"...[Russell is] solidly likable....A brisk pace and a lot of momentum..."
Variety - 02/13/1985
"...[A] taut, atmospheric crime thriller featuring potent portrayals by Kurt Russell and Richard Jordan..."
Los Angeles Times - 02/14/1985
"...Tense and stylish....THE MEAN SEASON makes deft use of the thriller form to examine the relationship between those who report the news and those who make it..."
THE MEAN SEASON, based on a novel by John Katzenbach, tells the riveting story of disgruntled Miami newspaper reporter Malcolm Anderson (Kurt Russell), who decides to quit the news game after tiring of writing about murder. But before he leaves, he finds himself in the middle of the biggest story of his life when a serial killer decides to contact him. Apparently impressed by the journalist's prose style, the so-called Numbers Killer wants to use the media to promote his deadly activities and finds Anderson the perfect mouthpiece. Meanwhile, the notoriety feeds Anderson's own ego and ambition as well, and he heedlessly plunges ahead with his work--until the danger comes too close to home. THE MEAN SEASON features a terrific cast led by Russell, Andy Garcia, Joe Pantoliano, and Mariel Hemingway.
Serial Killers |
Theatrical Release |
- The title refers to Miami's annual hurricane season.