The Staple Singers City In The Sky
Hurry! Only 1 copy left Sorry no back-orders
|SUPER SAVINGS:||$16.55 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$3.43 (17% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: March 19, 1996
- Originally Released: 1996
- Label: Stax
Mojo (Publisher) - p.66"[They] took the government to task on the Shaftesque 'Washington We're Watching You' and 'Something Ain't Right.'"
- 1.Back Road Into Town
- 2.City In The Sky
- 3.Washington We're Watching You
- 4.Something Ain't Right - The Staple Singers
- 5.Today Was Tomorrow Yesterday
- 6.My Main Man
- 7.There Is A God
- 8.Blood Pressure
- 9.If It Ain't One Thing It's Another
- 10.Who Made The Man
- 11.Getting Too Big For Your Britches
- 12.Oh La De Da
- 13.I Like The Things About You
- 14.Respect Yourself
- 15.I'll Take You There
Personnel includes: Clayton Ivey, Barry Beckett, Jimmy Johnson, Eddie Hinton, Raymond Jackson, David Hood, Roger Hawkins, The Memphis Horns.
Recorded between 1972 and 1974.
Recording information: Ardent Recording Studios, Memphis, TN (10/1972-??/1974); Muscle Shoals Sound Studios, AL (10/1972-??/1974); Pampa Recording Studios, Warren, MI (10/1972-??/1974); Wally (10/1972-??/1974).
City in the Sky, the final LP that the Staple Singers made with Stax Records, features the same socially conscious lyrics and powerful singing that had become their trademark before the album's 1974 release. While the original recording didn't have the kind of explosive singles like "Respect Yourself" and "I'll Take You There" that helped them become legends of soul music, this is by no means a weak album. The opener "Back Road Into Town" seethes with energy and anger-tinged pride, while "Washington We're Watching You" combines that same message of anger and pride with organ and horn-driven funk. The Staple Singers return to the gospel style that had begun their musical career nearly 20 years before with "Who Made the Man," -- perhaps the strongest song on the album, alternating between gentle invectives by Pop Staples and powerful harmonic blasts by Mavis, Cleotha, and Yvonne. Overall, the album combines a classic Stax-influenced soul sound with a strong message, making it an essential part of the Staple Singers' catalog. ~ Stacia Proefrock
Etta James / Eddie "Cleanhead" VinsonThe Late Show: Blues in the Night, Volume 2 (Live) (CD)
WCBS FM101.1 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 70s (CD)(5)
$6.98 on SALE
Collectables Gospel Classics, Volume 3 (Limited) (CD)(2)
$1.98 on SALE
WDAS 105.3FM - Soulful Christmas, Volumes 1 & 2 (2-CD Box...(4)
$19.98 on SALE
WCBS FM101.1 - Motown, Soul & Great Rock 'N Roll: Soul (CD)(2)
$2.98 on SALE
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 3 ratings.
Based on 3 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Top ranking titles in the Christian & Gospel genre:
- Various Artists Gotham Gospel, Volume 1 (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- The Harmonizing Four The Very Best of When Day Is Done (Limited) (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists White Gospel (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Collectables Gospel Classics, Volume 1 (Limited) (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Rev. Milton Brunson The Very Best of What A Wonderful... (Limited) (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Best of Chicago Garage Bands - The Quill Records Story (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- The Herd Very Best of I Can Fly (Featuring Peter Frampton) (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - JukeBox Giants, Volume 3 (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - JukeBox Giants, Volume 1 (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE