Volume 1 - Cherokee
From the Vaults of Everest Records (series)
|You Save:||$1.74 (35% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: March 25, 2008
- Originally Released: 2008
- Label: Collectables Records
- 2.I Can't Get Started
- 3.Pompton Turnpike
- 6.Flying Home
- 7.One O'Clock Jump
- 8.Harlem Nocturne
- 9.Midnight Sun
- 10.Take The "A" Train
Personnel includes: Charlie Barnet (soprano, alto & tenor saxophones); Don McCook (alto saxophone, clarinet); Gene Kinsey, Leo White, Conn Humphries (alto saxophone); Lloyd "Skippy" Martin (alto & baritone saxophones); Jimmy Lamare (tenor & baritone saxophones); Kurt Bloom (tenor saxophone); Charles Huffine, Billy May, Johnny Owens, Lyman Vunk (trumpet); Ben Hall, Don Ruppersberg, Spud Murphy (trombone); Nat Jaffe, Bill Miller (piano); Bus Etri (guitar); Phil Stephens (bass); Wesley Dean, Ray Michaels (drums).
Recorded in New York and California between January 20, 1939 and January 7, 1941.
Personnel: Charlie Barnet (soprano, alto & tenor saxophones); Bunny Briggs (vocals); Pete Mondello (alto, tenor & baritone saxophones); Vinnie Dean (alto saxophone); Dick Hafer, Kurt Bloom (tenor saxophone); Danny Bank (baritone saxophone); Charlie Shavers, Markey Markowitz, Clark Terry, Al Stewart, Jimmy Nottingham (trumpet); Billy Byers, Frank Sarroco, Bobby Byrne, Ed Price (trombone); Nat Pierce (piano); Chubby Jackson (bass); Terry Snyder (drums).
Recorded in New York on August 5 & 6, 1958. Includes original release liner notes by Nat Hentoff.
One of Charlie Barent's later efforts, CHEROKEE proved to be more than fortuitous for this enigmatic musician. Spurning conventional wisdom, he released this set of vintage big band tunes when rock & roll was the rage, and big-band jazz had long since metamorphosed into bebop, cool, and even newer, more avant-garde styles.
Barnet's 1958 band, composed of jazz greats such as trumpeter Clark Terry and pianist Nat Pierce, showed a previously apathetic audience that big band music was not only still viable, but exciting. Heavily influenced by the Basie and Ellington orchestras, Barnet successfully leads a tight, hard-swinging ensemble on this date. Songs such as "East Side, West Side," "Blue Juice," and the title track, prove this band's ability to match the legendary orchestras from the Golden Era of swing. Arguably Barnet's strongest effort, CHEROKEE is an exhilarating album.
Tiny GrimesTiny Grimes And His Rockin' Highlanders, Volume 1 (CD)
$2.98 on SALE
Big Bands of The Swinging Years, Volume 2 (Cassette)
$1.98 on SALE
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 16,514
- UPC: 090431081723
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
Jazz Instrument: Big Band Music Categories:
- Ambrose (Big Band) The Hottest of the Decca 'M' Series (1929-1930) (CD) ~ $15.76
- Ambrose (Big Band) Legendary 1929 Sessions (CD) ~ $14.80 LABOR DAY
- Ivie Anderson I Got It Good and That Ain't Bad! (CD) ~ $18.51 LABOR DAY
- The Andrews Sisters Very Best Of (CD) ~ $9.58 LABOR DAY
- Ray Anthony The Navy Show Broadcasts (CD) ~ $17.04 LABOR DAY
- 38 Special Extended Versions (Live) (CD) ~ $4.99 on SALE
- 45 RPM "Doo Wop & Acappella" Starlight Sessions (CD) ~ $5.52 LABOR DAY
- 49th Street 49th Street (CD) ~ $5.52 LABOR DAY
- The 5th Dimension Up Up and Away - The Encore Collection (CD) ~ $5.07 LABOR DAY
- Gregory Abbott Rhyme & Reason (CD) ~ $5.07 LABOR DAY