Volume 1 - Cherokee
From the Vaults of Everest Records (series)
|You Save:||$2 (40% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: March 25, 2008
- Originally Released: 2008
- Label: Collectables Records
- 2.I Can't Get Started
- 3.Pompton Turnpike
- 6.Flying Home
- 7.One O'Clock Jump
- 8.Harlem Nocturne
- 9.Midnight Sun
- 10.Take The "A" Train
Personnel includes: Charlie Barnet (soprano, alto & tenor saxophones); Don McCook (alto saxophone, clarinet); Gene Kinsey, Leo White, Conn Humphries (alto saxophone); Lloyd "Skippy" Martin (alto & baritone saxophones); Jimmy Lamare (tenor & baritone saxophones); Kurt Bloom (tenor saxophone); Charles Huffine, Billy May, Johnny Owens, Lyman Vunk (trumpet); Ben Hall, Don Ruppersberg, Spud Murphy (trombone); Nat Jaffe, Bill Miller (piano); Bus Etri (guitar); Phil Stephens (bass); Wesley Dean, Ray Michaels (drums).
Recorded in New York and California between January 20, 1939 and January 7, 1941.
Personnel: Charlie Barnet (soprano, alto & tenor saxophones); Bunny Briggs (vocals); Pete Mondello (alto, tenor & baritone saxophones); Vinnie Dean (alto saxophone); Dick Hafer, Kurt Bloom (tenor saxophone); Danny Bank (baritone saxophone); Charlie Shavers, Markey Markowitz, Clark Terry, Al Stewart, Jimmy Nottingham (trumpet); Billy Byers, Frank Sarroco, Bobby Byrne, Ed Price (trombone); Nat Pierce (piano); Chubby Jackson (bass); Terry Snyder (drums).
Recorded in New York on August 5 & 6, 1958. Includes original release liner notes by Nat Hentoff.
One of Charlie Barent's later efforts, CHEROKEE proved to be more than fortuitous for this enigmatic musician. Spurning conventional wisdom, he released this set of vintage big band tunes when rock & roll was the rage, and big-band jazz had long since metamorphosed into bebop, cool, and even newer, more avant-garde styles.
Barnet's 1958 band, composed of jazz greats such as trumpeter Clark Terry and pianist Nat Pierce, showed a previously apathetic audience that big band music was not only still viable, but exciting. Heavily influenced by the Basie and Ellington orchestras, Barnet successfully leads a tight, hard-swinging ensemble on this date. Songs such as "East Side, West Side," "Blue Juice," and the title track, prove this band's ability to match the legendary orchestras from the Golden Era of swing. Arguably Barnet's strongest effort, CHEROKEE is an exhilarating album.
Tiny GrimesTiny Grimes And His Rockin' Highlanders, Volume 2 (CD)
$1.98 on SALE
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 19,112
- UPC: 090431081723
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
The Best of the 1910 Fruitgum Company: Simon Says (CD)(17)
- Nat Adderley Hummin' (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Alisha Bounce Back (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- The Allures "Acappella" Starlight Sessions, Volume 1 (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Marc Almond Tenement Symphony (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Ernestine Anderson New Sound Of (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
From the Vaults of Everest Records Product Series:
- Aussie Bush Band Bush Songs From The Australian Outback (CD) ~ $1.98 on SALE
- Gene Autry Back in the Saddle Again (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Gene Autry His Christmas Album (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Pearl Bailey / Louie Bellson Pearl Bailey And Louis Bellson (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Charlie Barnet Volume 2 - Begin The Beguine (CD) ~ $4.98 on SALE