The Soul Children Genesis / Friction
|You Save:||$1.50 (10% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- by The Temprees ~ The Best of The Temprees ~ $9.05
- by The Soul Children ~ Chronicle ~ $9.05
- by The Soul Children ~ Hold On, I'm Coming ~ $5.98 (Save 60%)
- by Brenda & The Tabulations ~ Right on the Tip of My Tongue ~ $9.98 (Save 41%)
- by Various Artists ~ Wattstax (3-CD) ~ $37.79
Products with a similar style:
- The Dramatics The Best of 20th Century Masters / Millennium Collection (CD) ~ $3.99
- Eddie Kendricks The Best of 20th Century Masters / Millennium Collection (CD) ~ $5.38
- The Dramatics The Best of The Dramatics (CD) ~ $10.56
- The Manhattans Dedicated To You, Part 1 - Golden Classics (CD) ~ $6.49 (Save 50%)
- Released: November 9, 1999
- Originally Released: 1999
- Label: Stax
- 1.I Want To Be Loved
- 2.Don't Take My Sunshine
- 4.All That Shines Ain't Gold
- 5.It Hurts Me To My Heart
- 6.I'm Loving You More Everyday
- 7.Just The One (I've Been Looking For)
- 8.Never Get Enough Of Your Love
- 9.All Day Preachin'
- 10.Get Up About Yourself
- 11.I'll Be The Other Woman
- 12.What's Happening Baby
- 13.Can't Let You Go
- 14.It's Out Of My Hands
- 15.Just One Moment
- 16.We're Gettin' Too Close
- 17.Love Makes It Right
2 LPs on 1 CD.
This two-for-one reissue combines the Genesis (1972) and Friction (1974) LPs onto one CD. Genesis is a respectable record that, even more than many Stax albums from the late '60s and the early '70s, has a substantial gospel influence. Gospel was an influence in just about every soul record, of course, but you really hear it with this quartet, especially in the opening eight-minute cut, "I Want to Be Loved." The mood is funky but a bit more low-key and subdued than was the case on many such LPs of the time, which is a plus; it makes it stand out from the crowd a little. The presence of different male and female lead singers, and shared leads within the same song, also gives it some welcome variety, even if the group didn't have what it took to be considered among the top tier of soulsters, either in terms of vocals or material. J. Blackfoot's hoarse, scratchy leads -- like a muted mixture of James Brown, Otis Redding, and that ilk -- provide the most distinctive voice. And it's his lead that paces "Hearsay," the album's upbeat hit single that pushed it to number five on the R&B and to the middle of the pop charts. Friction is a slicker, sweeter, and less satisfying outing than Genesis, although it did include their biggest hit, "I'll Be the Other Woman." A little daring for the radio in that it acknowledged an adulterous affair, it was also something of a departure for the Soul Children -- putting Shelbra Bennett in the spotlight as lead vocalist when J. Blackfoot had tended to have the most visible leads. Bennett was also lead singer on the less impressive single "Love Makes It Right," a small R&B hit that concludes the record. In the interim there are lush ballads that get into icky sweetness ("What's Happening Baby") and some more uptempo, funky thangs. The best of the lot is "Can't Let You Go," which smolders a bit, thanks to the grainy lead vocal (presumably by J. Blackfoot) and the subtle wah-wah guitar. ~ Richie Unterberger
The Complete Stax / Volt Singles, Volume 3 (1972-1975)... (CD)(13)
$96.05 Super Savings
The Complete Stax / Volt Singles, Volume 2 (1968-1971)... (CD)(12)
$97.20 Super Savings
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 4 ratings.
Based on 4 ratings.
Write an online review to share your thoughts with other customers.
GENESIS/ FRICTION-SOULD CHILDREN Music Lover: Pearl Lassic from Hayneville, AL US -- October, 12, 2007
AGAIN I MUST SAY HOW THRILLED I AM ABOUT OBTAINING ANYTHING THE SOUL CHILDREN HAVE MADE. THEY ARE MY FAVORITE VOCAL GROUP IN THE WHOLE WIDE WORLD.
Storm Warning: Philly Original Soul Classics, Volume 1 (CD)(2)
$13.95 on SALE
Best of Chicago Garage Bands - The Quill Records Story (CD)(14)
99¢ on SALE