David Porter Victim of The Joke? An Opera
|You Save:||$0.24 (2% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Fantasy Warehouse Clearance Sale product may be specifically marked for one-way sale
- Released: April 24, 1995
- Originally Released: 1995
- Label: Stax
- 1.Act I: Scene 1: 1. Introduction
- 2.Act I: Scene 1: 2. If I Give It Up, I Want It Back
- 3.Act I: Scene 2: 3. Interlude
- 4.Act I: Scene 2: 4. When You Have To Sneak (You Have To Sneak)
- 5.Act I: Scene 3: 5. Interlude
- 6.Act I: Scene 3: 6. Help
- 7.Act I: Scene 4: 7. Interlude
- 8.Act I: Scene 4: 8. The Masquerade Is Over
- 9.Act Ii: Scene 1: 9. Interlude
- 10.Act Ii: Scene 1: 10. Storm In The Summertime
- 11.Act Ii: Scene 2: 11. Interlude
- 12.Act Ii: Scene 2: 12. Pretty Inside
- 13.Act Ii: Scene 3: 13. Interlude
- 14.Act Ii: Scene 3: 14. Human
- 15.Act Ii: Scene 4: 15. Interlude
- 16.Act Ii: Scene 4: 16. Airplane Ticket, Bus Ride, Can I Borrow Your Car?
Personnel includes: David Porter, Roni LeBeau, Jeanette Parrish, Ronnie Williams, Calvin Porter, Henry Bush, Ron Capone, Larry Nix, Bobby Manuel, Buddy Davis, Harold Beane, Donald "Duck" Dunn, Leon Hodges, Willie Hall, Al Jackson, Jr., The Bar-Kays, The Memphis Horns, The Memphis Symphony.
Recorded in 1971.
Personnel: David Porter (vocals); Buddy Davis, Bobby Manuel (guitar, percussion); Harold Beane (guitar); The Memphis Symphony Orchestra (strings); The Memphis Horns (brass, horns); Ronnie Williams, Ronny Williams (piano, organ); Al Jackson, Jr. , Willie Hall (drums); Bar-Kays (percussion).
Audio Remixers: Dave Purple; Ron Capone.
Liner Note Author: Rob Bowman.
Recording information: Stax Studios, Memphis (04/1971-05/1971); Wally Heider Studios, Hollywood, CA (04/1971-05/1971).
Editor: Darryl Williams.
Unknown Contributor Roles: Donald "Duck" Dunn; Harold Beane; Ronny Williams; Al Jackson, Jr. ; The Memphis Symphony Orchestra; Bar-Kays; The Memphis Horns; Willie Hall; Buddy Davis; Bobby Manuel.
Arrangers: Dale Warren; David Porter; Ronnie Williams.
Victim of the Joke?: An Opera is a concept album of sorts, the songs linked together by dialogue based around a thin romantic plot. The tunes (including both originals and surprising covers of the Beatles' "Help!" and the Tin Pan Alley tune "The Masquerade Is Over") are OK, but not special, treading closer to pop-soul than the grittier tone of many of David Porter's '60s compositions with Isaac Hayes. Porter's voice, again, is OK but unremarkable. While the construction of the LP was a laudably ambitious outing by early-'70s soul standards, the results weren't all that interesting; indeed, the thematic "concept" (of a typically rocky love affair) that drives the album is pretty simple and innocuous. ~ Richie Unterberger
Margie JosephMargie Joseph Makes a New Impression / Phase II [Stax] (CD)
The Complete Stax / Volt Singles, Volume 3 (1972-1975)... (CD)(13)
$96.05 Super Savings
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 13 ratings.
Based on 13 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
WCBS FM101.1 - Motown, Soul & Great Rock 'N Roll: Soul (CD)(2)
$2.98 on SALE
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Absolute Hits - Top Hits of the 60s: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Top Hits of the 80s: Groovin' Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Ultimate Rock & Roll Time Capsule, Volume 3 - Disc 2 (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Ultimate Rock & Roll Time Capsule, Volume 2 - Disc 1 (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Ultimate Rock & Roll Time Capsule, Volume 4 - Disc 2 (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE