Little Milton Blues N' Soul
Only 9 copies left
|SUPER SAVINGS:||$10.56 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$1.42 (12% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Fantasy Warehouse Clearance Sale product may be specifically marked for one-way sale
- Released: November 15, 1989
- Originally Released: 1989
- Label: Stax
- $0.99 on iTunes1.Woman Across The River
- $0.99 on iTunes2.Behind Closed Doors
- $0.99 on iTunes3.Sweet Woman Of Mine
- $0.99 on iTunes4.Worried Dreamer
- $0.99 on iTunes5.How Could You Do It To Me
- $0.99 on iTunes6.You're No Good
- $0.99 on iTunes7.Tain't Nobody's Biz-ness If I Do
- $0.99 on iTunes8.Hard Luck Blues
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Personnel: Little Milton (guitar, vocals), Bobby Manuel, Michael Toles (guitars), Lester Snell (piano), William Murphy, David Weatherspoon (bass), Willie Hall (drums), The Memphis Horns and The Memphis Symphony Orchestra.
Personnel: Little Milton (vocals, guitar); Michael Toles, Bobby Manuel (guitar); The Memphis Symphony Orchestra (strings); The Memphis Horns (horns); Lester Snell (piano); Willie Hall (drums).
Audio Remixers: Pete Bishop; Richard Rosebrough; William Brown .
Unknown Contributor Roles: David Weatherspoon; Lester Snell; Michael Toles; Willie Hall; Willie Murphy ; Bobby Manuel.
Arrangers: James Michell; James Mitchell .
Having already recorded for both Sun and Chess Records, two of the most historically significant labels in the history of blues and rock, Little Milton signed to Stax in the early '70s, adding yet another heavyweight to his catalog. On Blues 'N' Soul, he is joined by many of the same musicians that backed him on his Stax studio debut, Waiting for Little Milton, including drummer Willie Hall, guitarist Bobby Manuel, bassist Willie Murphy, and pianist Lester Snell. An impassioned singer, Milton's early-'70s output indeed began to walk the fine line between the blues and soul of the album title, a fact accentuated by the sparkling touches of the Memphis Horns. Although there are only two originals in the set, the singer's interpretations of songs popularized by Charlie Rich ("Behind Closed Doors"), Linda Ronstadt ("You're No Good") and Freddie King ("Woman Across the River") are just as convincing. Milton's own "Sweet Woman of Mine" captures the combo in an up-tempo mode, simultaneously tough and swinging. "'Tain't Nobody's Business If I Do" is a tour de force of soul-blues that paces itself exquisitely across six and a half minutes, and "Hard Luck Blues" concludes the set with a hard funk groove. Throughout the album, the arranging skills of James Mitchell demonstrate how strings can be incorporated into a hard blues setting. Though they provide ample color to these productions, they do little to dilute the essential nature of the music. Excluding the singles collection Walking the Back Streets, Blues 'N' Soul may very well be Milton's best set for Stax. ~ Nathan Bush
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 2 ratings.
Based on 2 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Greatest Hits (Chess 50th Anniversary Collection) (CD)(7)
$8.84 Super Savings
Top ranking titles in the Blues genre:
- Lightnin' Hopkins From The Vaults of Everest Records, Part 3 - Mama And Papa Hopkins (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Clifford Jordan These Are My Roots: Clifford Jordan Plays Leadbelly (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Goldband Blues Collection, Part 1 (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Elmore James Complete Fire & Enjoy Sessions, Part 2 (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- John Lee Hooker Gotham Golden Classics - The Rare Recordings (CD) ~ $1.98 on SALE
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Absolute Hits - Top Hits of the 60s: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Top Hits of the 80s: Groovin' Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock (10-CD Set) ~ $19.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Ultimate Rock & Roll Time Capsule, Volume 3 - Disc 2 (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Ultimate Rock & Roll Time Capsule, Volume 2 - Disc 1 (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE