The Dramatics A Dramatic Experience
11 copies available
|SUPER SAVINGS:||$10.56 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$1.42 (12% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Fantasy Warehouse Clearance Sale product may be specifically marked for one-way sale
- Released: December 3, 1990
- Originally Released: 1990
- Label: Stax
- 1.The Devil Is Dope
- 2.You Could Become The Very Heart Of Me
- 3.Now You Got Me Loving You
- 4.Fell For You
- 5.Jim, What's Wrong With Him?
- 6.Hey You! Get Off My Mountain
- 7.Beautiful People
- 8.Beware Of The Man (With The Candy In His Hand)
- 9.Stand Up Clap Your Hands (Bonus Track)
- 10.Bonus Track 2
The Dramatics: Ron Banks, Larry Demps, Willie Ford, Lenny Mayes, L.J. Reynolds, William Howard, Elbert Wilken.
Recorded in Detroit in September and October 1972. Originally released on Volt (6019).
Digitally remastered by Joe Tarantino (1990, Fantasy Studios, Berkeley).
Recording information: Detroit, MI (09/1972-10/1972).
Photographer: Joel Brodsky.
Unknown Contributor Roles: L.J. Reynolds; Larry Demps; Elbert Wilken; Lenny Mayes; Ron Banks ; The Dramatics; Willie Ford.
1973's A Dramatic Experience seems to split the difference between a concept album dealing with the evils of drugs and polished, well-arranged ballads and dance tracks. Quiet as it was kept, this album has two different lineups and as William Howard and Elbert Wilkins departed, L.J. Reynolds and Lenny Mayes replaced them. The majority of the concept side of A Dramatic Experience is marred by a heavy hand. "The Devil Is Dope" has lead singer William "Wee Gee" Howard's David Ruffin-derived vocals coming this close to parody. The slightly humorous "Jim, What's Wrong With Him?" does attain the eerie nature of drug abuse and has powerful production values. "Beware of the Man (With the Candy in His Hand)" has its odd monster/pusher sentiment only redeemed by Tony Hester's great and innovative production. The non-concept tracks work best here. "Now You've Got My Loving You" has a pitch-perfect falsetto vocal from Ron Banks and particularly strong harmony from the group. The romantic and melodic "Beautiful People" has lead vocals and from Banks, the newly arrived Reynolds, and great group chemistry. Songs featuring the Howard era group, the rock-based "Stand Up and Clap Your Hands" and "Hum a Song (From Your Heart)" close the effort. A Dramatic Experience isn't ranked as a great concept effort, but the romantic ballads make this a necessity to lovers of '70s R&B. ~ Jason Elias
Margie JosephMargie Joseph Makes a New Impression / Phase II [Stax] (CD)
$16.55 Super Savings
The Best of 20th Century Masters / Millennium Collection (CD)
$8.34 Super Savings
Shake It Well: The Best of the Dramatics 1974-1980 (CD)
$4.77 Super Savings
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 3 ratings.
Based on 3 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
20th Century Masters - The Millennium Collection: The Best... (CD)
$4.48 Super Savings
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists KFRC 99.7FM - Motown, Soul & Rock 'N Roll: Rock 'N Roll (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock (10-CD Set) ~ $19.98 on SALE
- Various Artists WJMK 104.3 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 60s (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Summer Fun: 43-Song Collection (3-CD) ~ $8.98 on SALE