The Dramatics Greatest Hits Live
|SUPER SAVINGS:||$10.56 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$1.42 (12% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: November 12, 2002
- Originally Released: 2002
- Label: Stax
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
The Dramatics: L.J. Reynolds, Ron Banks, Lenny Mayes, Willie Ford, Winzell Kelly (vocals).
Recorded live at the Palace Theater, New Haven, Connecticut on June 8, 2001. Includes liner notes by Lee Hildebrand.
Ask a group of Dramatics fans what the group's most productive decade was, and the vast majority of them will agree that the Motor City soulsters reached their creative peak in the '70s (which was also when they reached their commercial peak). However, the Dramatics were around before the '70s -- the group's original lineup was formed in 1962 -- and they were still active when the 21st century arrived. Greatest Hits Live documents a 2001 concert at the Palace Theater in New Haven, CT, where the five-man lineup consists of Ron Banks, L.J. Reynolds, Lenny Mayes, Willie Ford, and Wenzell Kelly. Few surprises occur, but Banks and friends are in good form on '70s gems like "Whatcha See Is Whatcha Get," "In the Rain," "Be My Girl," and "Hey You! Get Off My Mountain." Saying that few surprises occur isn't saying that no surprises occur; a bit of dancehall-style toasting (not the sort of thing one ordinarily expects from the Dramatics) finds its way into "Stand Up Clap Your Hands," and the concert takes a hip-hop detour with a Snoop-less performance of "Doggy Dogg World" (the 1994 Snoop Dogg hit that found the Dramatics making an unlikely guest appearance on a gangsta rap tune). But most of the concert is devoted to songs from the group's '70s heyday, and while Greatest Hits Live tends to be predictable, it is predictable in a good way -- "Thank You for Your Love" and many of the other soul classics that they perform have held up impressively well over the years. Greatest Hits Live falls short of essential, although the soul veterans' more devoted fans will find it to be a satisfying document of their 2001 tour. ~ Alex Henderson
The Best of 20th Century Masters / Millennium Collection (CD)
$8.34 Super Savings
Shake It Well: The Best of the Dramatics 1974-1980 (CD)
$4.77 Super Savings
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 7 ratings.
Based on 7 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Devil's Got a New Disguise: The Very Best of Aerosmith (CD)
$8.29 Super Savings
Brooks and Dunn - The Greatest Hits Video Collection (DVD)
$12.50 Super Savings
Top ranking titles in the R&B / Soul genre:
- The Isley Brothers Shout! (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Sam Cooke The Best of Sam Cooke (CD) ~ $5.97 on SALE
- Barbara Acklin Best of Barbara Acklin (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Wilson Pickett I'm In Love (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- The Chi-Lites Best of The Chi-Lites (CD) ~ $5.97 on SALE
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock (10-CD Set) ~ $19.98 on SALE
- Various Artists KFRC 99.7FM - Motown, Soul & Rock 'N Roll: Rock 'N Roll (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists WJMK 104.3 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 60s (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists WCBS FM101.1 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 70s (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE