William Bell Soul of a Bell [Bonus Tracks]
Only 6 copies left
|SUPER SAVINGS:||$10.56 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$1.42 (12% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: June 18, 2002
- Originally Released: 2002
- Label: Stax
Q - 12/02, p.1203 out of 5 - "...It's a gritty-sweet mix of gospel, soul and country as downhome as grits and cornbread..."
Living Blues - 9-10/02, p.80"...Bell was a masterful balladeer, and the set reflects that strength with gorgeous covers...alongside Bell's own spine-chillers..."
Mojo (Publisher) - 12/02, p.130"...Bell's songwriting shines throughout the album..."
- 1.Everybody Loves A Winner
- 2.You Don't Miss Your Water
- 3.Do Right Woman, Do Right Man
- 4.I've Been Loving You Too Long (To Stop Now)
- 5.Nothing Takes The Place of You
- 6.Then You Can Tell Me Goodbye
- 7.Eloise (Hang On In There)
- 8.Any Other Way
- 9.It's Happening All Over
- 10.Never Like This Before
- 11.You're Such A Sweet Thang
- 12.You Don't Miss Your Water (alternate version)
- 13.Any Other Way (alternate version)
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Personnel: William Bell (vocals); Steve Cropper (guitar); Booker T. Jones, Isaac Hayes (keyboards); Donald "Duck" Dunn (bass); Al Jackson, Jr. (drums); The Memphis Horns.
Producers: Booker T. Jones, Jim Stewart.
Recorded in 1966 & 1967. Includes liner notes by Rob Bowman.
All tracks have been digitally remastered.
Personnel: William Bell (vocals); Steve Cropper (guitar); Joe Arnold (alto saxophone); Andrew Love (tenor saxophone); Wayne Jackson (trumpet); Booker T. Jones III, Isaac Hayes (keyboards); Al Jackson, Jr. (drums).
Audio Remasterers: Dan Hersch; Bill Inglot.
Recording information: 1960S.
Unknown Contributor Role: Jim Stewart .
This CD is a classic example of '60s Southern soul. William Bell isn't quite as gritty as his pal Otis Redding; he's primarily a gospel crooner, although he's more than convincing in Redding-style songs such as "Never Been Like This Before," "You're Such a Sweet Thing," and "I've Been Loving You Too Long."
"Everybody Loves a Winner," the album's big hit, is an all-but-perfect mix of soul and country (check out the faux Floyd Cramer piano part), and the same could be said about the now-classic "You Don't Miss Your Water." Meanwhile, Bell's vocals throughout are extraordinarily intense, particularly on a spine-tingling cover of Toussaint McCall's "Nothing Takes the Place of You."
Soul Comes Home - A Celebration of Stax Records and Memphis... (DVD)
$10.48 Super Savings
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 4 ratings.
Based on 4 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
I'm the One Who Loves You: The Complete Volt Recordings (CD)
$12.35 Super Savings
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Retrospective Classic Rock (3CD) ~ $7.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Retrospective Early Rock & Roll (3CD) ~ $7.98 on SALE
- The Duprees For Collectors Only: 47-Song Collection (2-CD) ~ $6.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Sounds of The Fabulous Fifties (Limited Distribution) (3-CD Box Set) ~ $9.98 on SALE