- Rated: R
- Run Time: 1 hours, 51 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: July 27, 1999
- Originally Released: 1996
- Label: Turner Home Ent
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Aspect Ratio: Letterbox - 1.85
- Interactive Features:
- Scene Access
- Interactive Menus
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Rolling Stone - 03/07/1996
"...A timely and smartly entertaining political drama....Pacino, at his spellbindingly best, comes right at you..."
Entertainment Weekly - 03/15/1996
"…[Pacino gives] a wily, exuberant performance…"
Variety - 02/12/1996
"...Breathless storytelling, [a] charismatic cast and technical sheen....Becker displays a gleeful relish for the material..."
In this urban thriller the accidental shooting of a six-year-old during an altercation between cops and a drug dealer shakes a New York City mayor's office to its core, as the resulting investigation unveils the seamy truths behind political power-brokering and backroom deals.
"City Hall" provides an insider's look into big city politics, as seen through the eyes of young, idealistic deputy mayor Kevin Calhoun.
When an off-duty cop and a mob-connected drug dealer engage in a shootout, a stray bullet kills a young Black boy. But the incident enmeshes charismatic NYC mayor John Pappas and his right-hand man Kevin in a web of widespread corruption, involving fellow politicians, the mob, the police, and the judicial system. The resulting scandal has repercussions for many of the key players and changes New York's political landscape -- and the lives of Pappas and Calhoun -- forever.
- Released theatrically in USA on February 16, 1996. The film grossed a mayoral $20.2 million domestically.
- Color by Technicolor.
- Additional cast: Richard Schiff (Larry Schwartz).
- Additional credit: Elizabeth Carroll (associate producer).
- VHS #77337 comes with yellow Spanish subtitles.
- Rated BBFC 15 by the British Board of Film Classification.