Golden Age Gospel Quartets, Volume 1
by Various Artists
|You Save:||$1.50 (10% Off)|
Temporarily Out of Stock: We'll get more as soon as possible
- Fantasy Warehouse Clearance Sale product may be specifically marked for one-way sale
- Released: December 24, 1997
- Originally Released: 1997
- Label: Specialty
- 1.The Southern HarmonizersThese Old Bones
- 2.The Southern HarmonizersWhat Are They Doing In Heaven Today?
- 3.The Pilgram TravelersThe Old Rugged Cross
- 4.The Pilgram TravelersHe Will Remember Me
- 5.The EchoesSince I Laid My Burden Down (Glory, Glory Hallelujah)
- 6.The EchoesWhere Shall I Be (When The First Trumpet Sounds)?
- 7.The Paramount SingersHe Means So Much To Me
- 8.The Paramount SingersHeaven In My View
- 9.Soul StirrersFaith And Grace
- 10.Soul StirrersBy And By
- 11.The Pilgrim TravelersJesus Hits Like The Atom Bomb
- 12.The Pilgrim TravelersJesus, I'm Thankful
- 13.The DetroitersLet Jesus Lead You
- 14.The DetroitersMother, I Need Your Prayer
- 15.Soul StirrersPeace In The Valley
- 16.Soul StirrersChrist Is All
- 17.Chosen Gospel SingersBefore This Time Another Year
- 18.Chosen Gospel SingersLeaning On The Lord
- 19.The Swan SilvertonesI'm Coming Home
- 20.The Swan SilvertonesHe Won't Deny Me
- 21.The Pilgrim TravelersWeary Traveler
- 22.The Pilgrim TravelersMy Old Home
- 23.The Original Five Blind Boys Of AlabamaThere Is A Fountain
- 24.The Original Five Blind Boys Of AlabamaMarching Up To Zion
- 25.The West Coast JubileesSince Jesus Came Into My Heart
- 26.The West Coast JubileesHe'll Be There
Personnel: Sam Cooke (vocals, tenor); Paul Foster (vocals, baritone); George Scott (vocals, guitar); Clarence Fountain, Solomon Womack, James H. Medlock, Rev. Robert Crenshaw, Ace H. Fletcher, Oliver Green, Vance Powell, Kylo Turner, Paul Owens, Leroy Barnes, E.J. Brumfield, George Butler, Rev. Sammy Lewis, Fred Sims, Keith Barber , Joseph Dean, Willmer Broadnax, R.H. Harris, Rev. Claude Jeter (vocals); A.C. Franklin, Dempsey Harrison, Rev. George W. Warren, Archie Reynolds, James W. Alexander, Roy Crain, SR. (tenor); Jimmy Copeland, Oscar Cook, Bill Johnson , R.B. Robinson, Jesse Whitaker, Olice Thomas, Thomas L. Bruster (baritone); J.B. Randall, James Knowles, Robert Thomas , Ben Williams , James Ricks, J.J. Farley, Raphael Taylor, Henry K. Bossard (bass voice); Jesse Sailes (drums).
Liner Note Author: Opal Nations.
Recording information: Boulevard (??/??/1947-02/27/1953); Geno Terrell's Livingroom, San Francisco, CA (??/??/1947-02/27/1953); United Sound System, Detroit, MI (??/??/1947-02/27/1953); Universal Recorders, Hollywood, CA (??/??/1947-02/27/1953).
Photographer: Steve Maruta.
Unknown Contributor Roles: Chosen Gospel Singers; Clarence Fountain; Golden Echoes; The Five Blind Boys of Alabama; Paul Foster; R.H. Harris; Rev. Claude Jeter; Sam Cooke; The Swan Silvertones; Detroiters; The Paramount Singers; Pilgrim Travelers; The Soul Stirrers.
Arrangers: Kenneth S. Morris ; William Johnson.
The accent is on harmony in this collection of 26 tracks from the gospel side of the Specialty Records vaults. The bulk of the selections here are previously unissued and in the main feature a cappella performances. Besides worthy entries from the Pilgrim Travelers ("The Old Rugged Cross"), the Soul Stirrers ("By and By"), the Swan Silvertones ("I'm Coming Home") and the Five Blind Boys of Alabama ("Marching Up to Zion"), this disc also boasts equally fine performances from lesser-known groups like the Paramount Singers ("He Means So Much to Me"), the Southern Harmonizers ("What Are They Doing In Heaven Today?"), Golden Echoes ("Since I Laid My Burden Down"), Detroiters ("Let Jesus Lead You"), Chosen Gospel Singers ("Leaning on the Lord") and the West Coast Jubilees ("Since Jesus Came Into My Heart"). Recorded between 1947 and 1954, the set runs in roughly chronological to better spotlight the change in gospel singing from a cappella to full rhythm section backing during this time period. A remarkable set of recordings. ~ Cub Koda
Collectables Gospel Classics, Volume 3 (Limited) (CD)(2)
$1.98 on SALE
Collectables Gospel Classics, Volume 2 (Limited) (CD)(2)
$1.98 on SALE
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 4 ratings.
Based on 4 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Best of Chicago Garage Bands - The Quill Records Story (CD)(14)
99¢ on SALE