Jumpin' & Jivin'
by Various Artists
|You Save:||$1.50 (10% Off)|
Temporarily Out of Stock: We'll get more as soon as possible
- by Various Artists ~ Juke Joints 3 (4-CD) ~ $24.26
- by Various Artists ~ Legends of Jump Blues, Volume 1 ~ $12.98
- by Various Artists ~ 'That's What They Want' Jook Joint Blues: Good Time Rhythm & Blues 1943-1956 (4-CD) ~ $26.08
- JKCD product may have manufacturer's delete notch, drill hole, or prior sale stickers.
- Released: March 18, 1997
- Originally Released: 1997
- Label: Specialty
JazzTimes - 10/97, pp.132-133"...There are good, dire, amusing and five previously unissued tracks here. Together they form a useful kind of documentary."
- 1.Daddy CleanheadSomething's Goin' On In My Room
- 2.Roy MiltonTell It Like It Is
- 3.Duke HendersonLucy Brown
- 4.Leo ParkerMad Lad Returns
- 5.The Nelson Alexander TrioDrink Up-Light Up
- 6.Roy MiltonBaby, Don't Do That To Me
- 7.Amos Easton (Bumble Bee Slim)Sometimes
- 8.Joe TurnerWhen The Rooster Crows (AKA I Want My Baby)
- 9.Jummy LigginsHep Cat Boogie
- 10.Roy MiltonBaby, You Don't Know
- 11.King PleasureRed Top
- 12.Amos Easton (Bumble Bee Slim)Ida Red
- 13.Rudy FergusonCool Goofin'
- 14.Marvin PhillipsWine Woogie
- 15.Annie RossTwisted
- 16.Amos Easton (Bumble Bee Slim)Tiny's Boogie
- 17.Roy MiltonIf You Don't Know
- 18.King PerryI Must Have Been An Ugly Baby
- 19.Eddie JeffersonStop Talkin', Start Walkin'
- 20.Roy MiltonGonna Leave You Baby
- 21.Eddie "Lockjaw" DavisSquattin'
- 22.Floyd DixonHole In The Wall
- 23.Joe CarrolGot A Penny, Benny?
- 24.Roy MiltonMake Me Know It
- 25.King PleasureMoody's Mood For Love (AKA I'm In The Mood For Love)
Recorded between 1951 and 1954.
Audio Remasterer: Kirk Felton.
Liner Note Author: Billy Vera.
Recording information: 12/23/1947-02/08/1955.
If you ever wanted to get an idea of just how wide the parameters of jump blues actually were in their heyday, this 25-track collection will go a long way toward spelling it out. Acquiring various labels' catalogs can sometime make for strange compilation bedfellows and never more so than here, a three-way collision between Specialty's West Coast version of the genre, Prestige's New York City school of be-bop approach and a few stray tracks from the Texas-based Freedom label. The real treat for West Coast-style mavens is the inclusion of six tracks from Roy Milton; "Tell It Like It Is," "Gonna Leave You Baby," "Baby You Don't Know" find Milton's sound getting rougher, almost in anticipation of the rock'n'roll that's coming down the pike. Other notable additions to the package include Daddy Cleanhead's potent "Something's Goin' On in My Room," Leo Parker's baritone sax romp "Mad Lad Returns," King Pleasure's be-bop vocal turn on the classic "Moody's Mood for Love," and King Perry's surreal "I Must Have Been an Ugly Baby." And collectors will welcome the CD appearance of Big Joe Turner's "When the Rooster Crows," one of his ultra-rare Freedom singles from just before he signed on with Atlantic in 1951. Yes, the genre flavors shift around quite a bit on this disc, but that's half the fun, and as jump blues compilations go, this makes a pretty great little genre primer for the novice as well. ~ Cub Koda
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Best of Chicago Garage Bands - The Quill Records Story (CD)(14)
99¢ on SALE
WCBS FM101.1 - Motown, Soul & Great Rock 'N Roll: Rock 'N... (CD)(5)
$4.98 on SALE