The Great 1955 Shrine Concert (Live)
by Various Artists
Only 10 copies left
|You Save:||$1.50 (10% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- by Sam Cooke ~ The Complete Specialty Recordings of Sam Cooke (3-CD) ~ $25.50
- by Various Artists ~ Gospel at Newport 1959/63-66 (Live) ~ $16.18
- by Various Artists ~ Legendary Groups of Gospel ~ $5.97
- by Toni Braxton / Babyface ~ Love, Marriage & Divorce ~ $13.38
- by Sam Cooke ~ One Night Stand: Live At The Harlem Square Club, 1963 ~ $5.97 (Save 25%)
- Fantasy Warehouse Clearance Sale product may be specifically marked for one-way sale
- Released: August 1, 1993
- Originally Released: 1993
- Label: Specialty
Rolling Stone - 10/28/93, p.755 Stars - Classic - "...[THE GREAT 1955 SHRINE CONCERT] confirms gospel's supreme ability to transport [listeners] to the heights of unalloyed joy and inspiration..."
- 1.The Pilgrim TravelersSpoken Introduction
- 2.The Pilgrim TravelersAll The Way
- 3.The Pilgrim TravelersStraight Street
- 4.The CaravansSince I Met Jesus
- 5.The CaravansWhat Kind Of Man Is This
- 6.Brother Joe MayIt's A Long, Long Way
- 7.Brother Joe MayI'm Happy Working For The Lord
- 8.Annette MayRemarks By Brother Joe May
- 9.Annette MayConsider Me
- 10.The Soul StirrrersI Have A Friend Above All Others
- 11.The Soul StirrrersBe With Me Jesus
- 12.The Soul StirrrersNearer To Thee
- 13.Ethel DavenportMy Troubles Are So Hard To Bear
Personnel: Bob King (vocals, guitar); James Cleveland (vocals, piano); Joe May, Annette May (vocals, background vocals); Dorothy Love Coates, Ethel Davenport, R.B. Robinson, Kylo Turner, Jesse Whitaker, George McCurn, Odessa Edwards, Jesse J. Farley, James W. Alexander, Keith Barber , Albertina Walker, Paul Foster, Sam Cooke, Cassietta George (vocals); Henry Woods, Evelyn Starks, James Roots (piano); Charles May (background vocals).
Liner Note Authors: Opal Nations; Lee Hildebrand.
Arranger: Dorothy Love Coates.
The power and splendor that was gospel in the '50s radiates throughout the performances on The Great 1955 Shrine Concert. The Pilgrim Travelers, with twin powerhouse leads Kylo Turner and Keith Barber, get things started in fiery fashion, followed by the dynamic Caravans, whose roster at that time included Albertina Walker and Rev. James Cleveland, who doubled as a pianist. Also on the bill were Brother Joe May, justifying his "Thunderbolt of the Midwest" nickname; the Soul Stirrers, with Sam Cooke still in the fold; and the Original Gospel Harmonettes, concluding the proceedings with a flourish. Anyone who attended certainly felt the spirit, as will anyone who listens to this magnificent 14-song set. ~ Ron Wynn
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 12 ratings.
Based on 12 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Collectables Gospel Classics, Volume 3 (Limited) (CD)(2)
$1.98 on SALE