- Rated: R
- Closed captioning available
- Run Time: 1 hours, 55 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: December 5, 2000
- Originally Released: 1986
- Label: MGM (Video & DVD)
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Single Side - Single Layer
- Aspect Ratio: Letterbox - 1.85
- Aspect Ratio: Widescreen - 1.78
- Dolby Digital - English
- Dolby Digital - French
- Dolby Digital - Spanish
- Additional Release Material:
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Variety - 02/26/1986
"...Audiences will respond to the very strong performances of the two leads, especially Walken whose smiling, dangerous killer is one of his best roles..."
Description by OLDIES.com:
A drama about the intense relationship between a young man and his long-lost father, a small-time hood and leader of a rural crime ring. Their stormy reunion culminates in disillusion, violence and murder.
Two brothers are stuck in an impoverished household in rural Pennsylvania with their mother and grandmother. Their father, a notorious ne'er do well and professional criminal, drifts in every now and then to leave them some money, but he never stays. The boys are intrigued by their father and his criminal lifestyle, his money, and his girlfriends, and want to get closer to him. Eventually, the father agrees to plan petty heists for the older brother's gang, which the group performs willingly, for they are all enthralled by the father. But when the crimes get larger and trouble with the police is imminent, the father's truly evil nature is revealed when he willingly sacrifices his sons to save his own life.
Family Interaction |
Organized Crime |
Theatrical Release |
- Film is based on a true story that happened in Pennsylvania in 1978.
- Real brothers Sean and Chris Penn play on-screen brothers in the film.
- Madonna, at that time Sean Penn's wife, provided the film with its haunting theme song.