Old Time Religion
|You Save:||$1.50 (10% Off)|
Temporarily Out of Stock: We'll get more as soon as possible
- Released: October 6, 1992
- Originally Released: 1993
- Label: Specialty
- 1.The DetroitersHe Walks With Me
- 2.The DetroitersMother On The Train
- 3.The DetroitersMother On The Train
- 4.The DetroitersAngels Watching Over Me
- 5.The DetroitersI Trust In Jesus
- 6.The DetroitersRide On King Jesus
- 7.The DetroitersRide On King Jesus
- 8.The DetroitersMother, Don't Cry About Your Child
- 9.The DetroitersLet Jesus Lead You
- 10.The DetroitersMother, I Need Your Prayer
- 11.The DetroitersOld Time Religion
- 12.The DetroitersOld Time Religion
- 13.The DetroitersSometimes
- 14.The DetroitersBody And Soul
- 15.The DetroitersShady Green Pastures
- 16.The Golden EchoesWhere Shall I Be (When The First Trumpet Sounds)
- 17.The Golden EchoesDown On My Knees
- 18.The Golden EchoesMy Life In His Hands
- 19.The Golden EchoesWhen The Saints Go Marching In
- 20.The Golden EchoesWhen The Saints Go Marching In
- 21.The Golden EchoesWhen I Lay My Burden Down
- 22.The Golden EchoesI'm So Happy (In The Service Of The Lord)
- 23.The Golden EchoesWaiting And Watching
- 24.The Golden EchoesYield Not To Temptation
- 25.The Golden EchoesYield Not To Temptation
- 26.The Golden EchoesYield Not To Temptation
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
The Detroiters: Oliver Green, Leroy Barnes (leads), Dempsey Harrison (tenor), Bill Johnson (baritone), Robert Thomas (bass), Nathaniel L, Howard (piano).
The Golden Echos: Wilmer "Little Axe" Broadnax, Paul Foster (leads), Eldridge Bostic (tenor), Jimmy Copeland (baritone), James Ricks (bass).
Tracks 10-15 recorded at United Sound System, Detroit, Michigan on March 1, 1952 and January 27, 1953. Tracks 16-26 recorded at Universal Recorders, Hollywood, California on April 5, 1949. Includes liner notes by Ray Funk.
Digitally remastered by Joe Tarantino (1992, Fantasy Studios, Berkeley, California).
This is part of the Specialty Legends Of Gospel series.
Recording information: 04/05/1949-01/27/1953.
Old Time Religion showcases two great gospel vocal quartets from the '40s and '50s: the Detroiters and the Golden Echoes. The first half of the disc features 15 cuts from the Detroiters, 11 of which are previously unreleased songs recorded at United Sound. The Golden Echoes are represented with 11 songs recorded in 1949, ten of which have never been released. Usually, large sections of unreleased material would mean that the disc is primarily of interest to collectors, but that's not necessarily the case here. Both quartets are excellent examples of impassioned, moving and plain entertaining classic gospel, blessed with remarkable voices -- the Detroiters' lineup boasted Oliver Green and Leroy Barnes, while the Golden Echoes featured Paul Foster, Sr. and Wilmer "Little Axe" Broadnax -- and true spirit; it's a pleasure to hear them in any setting. Granted, some tastes may find the preponderance of alternate takes a little tedious, but if you program them out, you're left with a sterling collection of classic gospel. ~ Leo Stanley
Collectables Gospel Classics, Volume 3 (Limited) (CD)
$1.98 on SALE
Collectables Gospel Classics, Volume 2 (Limited) (CD)
$1.98 on SALE
Gotta Serve Somebody: The Gospel Songs of Bob Dylan (CD)
Country Top Hits of the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s (4-CD)
$19.98 on SALE
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!