Brother Joe May Thunderbolt of the Middle West
LOW STOCK: Only 3 copies left
|You Save:||$1.50 (10% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: October 6, 1992
- Originally Released: 1993
- Label: Specialty
- 1.Old Ship Of Zion (Live) - Brother Joe
- 2.WDIA Radio Station Plug
- 3.Search Me Lord
- 4.How Much More Of Life's Burden Can We Bear?
- 5.In That Day
- 6.I'm Gonna Live The Life I Sing About In My Song
- 7.The Day Is Past And Gone
- 8.Do You Know Him?
- 9.I Just Can't Keep From Cryin' Sometime
- 10.I Want Jesus On The Road I Travel
- 11.Precious Lord
- 12.What Do You Know About Jesus?
- 13.Our Father
- 14.It's All Right
- 15.I'll Make It Somehow
- 16.Your Sins Will Find You Out
- 17.Remember Me
- 18.I Claim Jesus First
- 19.It's A Long, Long Way
- 20.Don't Forget The Name Of The Lord
- 21.He'll Understand And Say Well Done
- 22.I'm Happy Working For The Lord
- 23.Grow Closer
- 24.Consider Me
- 25.Jesus Knows
- 26.Vacation In Heaven
- 27.Going Home
Personnel: Brother Joe May, Sister Wynona Carr, The Pilgrim Travelers, The Sallie Martin Singers, Annette May (vocals); Bertha Smith, Gwendolyn Cooper (piano); Theresa Childs (piano, vocals); R. Mosely, Charles Brown, Kenneth Morris (organ); Edward Hall, Jesse Sailes (drums).
Recorded at Universal Recorders and Master Recorders, Hollywood, California, and an unknown church, Los Angeles, California between 1949 and 1955. Includes liner notes by Lee Hildebrand and Opal Nations.
Digitally remastered by Kirk Felton (1992, Fantasy Studios, Berkeley, California).
This is part of the Specialty "Legends Of Gospel" series.
Personnel: Brother Joe May (vocals); Theresa Childs (vocals, piano); Cora Martin, Kylo Turner, Fred Miller, Jesse Whitaker, James W. Alexander, Raphael Taylor, Keith Barber , Annette May, Sallie Martin, Sister Wynona Carr (vocals); Freddie Simon (tenor saxophone); Henry Woods, Kenneth Woods, Jr., Gwendolyn Cooper, Bertha Smith (piano); Ralph Watson, James Lee (organ, drums); Kenneth S. Morris , R. Mosley, Charles Brown (organ); Edward Hall, Albert Bartee, Jesse Sailes (drums).
Liner Note Authors: Opal Nations; Lee Hildebrand.
Recording information: Master Recorders, Hollywood, CA (09/10/1949-08/02/1955); Universal Recorders, Hollywood, CA (09/10/1949-08/02/1955).
Unknown Contributor Role: Pilgrim Travelers.
Arranger: Brother Joe May.
Brother Joe May was the male counterpart to Mahalia Jackson, a full-voiced tenor of amazing range and power. Although he recorded prolifically for the Nashboro label for the bulk of his career, this 27-track collection brings together his earliest recordings for the Specialty label. Although many of these tracks feature him working with the Sallie Martin Singers, Sister Wynona Carr, the Pilgrim Travelers, and his daughter Annette May, the real star of the show is Brother Joe, whose voice simply soars no matter what the surroundings. ~ Cub Koda
Thomas A. DorseyPrecious Lord: The Great Gospel Songs of Thomas A. Dorsey View Details
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 3 ratings.
Based on 3 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Working the Road: The Golden Age of Chicago Gospel (CD)
$14.32 Super Savings
Collectables Gospel Classics, Volume 3 (Limited) (CD)
$1.98 on SALE
Collectables Gospel Classics, Volume 2 (Limited) (CD)
$1.98 on SALE
Gotta Serve Somebody: The Gospel Songs of Bob Dylan (CD)
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Southern Nights: Classic Country Crossovers (2CD) ~ $5.98 on SALE
- The Duprees For Collectors Only: 47-Song Collection (2-CD) ~ $6.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Retrospective Classic Rock (3CD) ~ $7.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Sounds of The Fabulous Fifties (Limited Distribution) (3-CD Box Set) ~ $9.98 on SALE