- Includes the complete movie "The Duke is Tops (aka "The Bronze Venus"), the screen debut of Lena Horne as a featured singer known as The Bronze Nightingale in a traveling black revue
- Movie musical numbers from: "Panama Hattie", "Cabin in the Sky", "Stormy Weather", "Thousands Cheer", "Broadway Rhythm", "Two Girls and A Sailor", "Ziegfeld Follies", "Words and Music", "Till The Clouds Roll By"
- Selected clips and soundies
- Photo Gallery
- Subtitles: Spanish, French
- Rated: Not Rated
- Run Time: 1 hours
- Video: Black & White
- Released: October 26, 2004
- Originally Released: 2004
- Label: Mvd Visual
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Description by OLDIES.com:
Cultural icon, civil rights pioneer, sex symbol, actress, cabaret singer and Broadway star, the legendary Lena Horne has left an indelible mark on American culture, and the world. Her rise to greatness from a difficult childhood to becoming one of America's leading ladies, reads like a script to a Hollywood success story, and has made her one of the most respected and well-loved figures in history.
This DVD uncovers, through video clips and rare photos, the life and career of one of America's leading cultural figures. She has had numerous chart hits, and earned honors for her illustrious career on the stage, screen and in the recording studio, including two Grammy Awards and a Kennedy Center Honors Award in 1994. Elegant and wise, Lena Horne personifies both the glamour of Hollywood and the reality of a lifetime spent battling racial and social injustice
Elegant and iconic vocal artist and film star Lena Horne is legendary for her sultry voice, striking looks, and her talent on both screen and stage. An African-American performer who came to prominence during the civil rights movement, she was politically active, and blacklisted from Hollywood during the Red Scare. Nonetheless, her career boasts a stunning array of successes, with multiple Grammy Awards, an NAACP Springarn Award, and a Tony Award, among many others. Many of her songs have become classics of American music, including her theme song "Stormy Weather," and during WWII she became a pinup girl for countless GIs serving abroad. This documentary delves into the historical and cultural figure that is Lena Horne, telling her story through television and video clips, live performance footage, rare early photos, and scenes from her films. The latter include THE DUKE IS TOPS, her first filmic appearance, as well as her roles in musicals such as PANAMA HATTIE, and her masterpieces, CABIN IN THE SKY and STORMY WEATHER.
Easy Listening |
Jazz Legends |
Jazz Vocal |
Music (General) |
Pop / Rock
Movie Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 2 ratings.
Be the first Movie Lover to
write an online review of this product!
- UPC: 022891802792
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item