- Released: May 10, 2005
- Originally Released: 2005
- Label: Gnp Crescendo
- 1.Suite from "Godzilla"
- 2.Main title from "Godzilla Raids Again"
- 3.Suite from "King Kong vs. Godzilla"
- 4.Mothra's Song from "Godzilla vs. Mothra"
- 5.Main title & 'Monsters Appear' from "Ghidorah the Three-Headed Monster"
- 6.Monster FX & March from "Invasion of the Astro-Monster"
- 7.Suite from "Son of Godzilla"
- 8.Suite from "Destroy All Monsters"
- 9.Suite from "All Monsters Attack"
- 10.Godzilla's Fight from "Godzilla vs. Hedorah"
- 11.Suite from "Godzilla vs. Gigan"
- 12.Suite from "Godzilla vs. Megalon"
- 13.Suite from "Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla"
- 14.Suite from "Terror of Mechagodzilla"
- 15.Theme from "Godzilla"
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
THE BEST OF GODZILLA Vol. 1: 1954-1975 includes music from GODZILLA MONSTER ZERO, KING KONG VS. GODZILLA, DESTROY ALL MONSTERS, GODZILLA VS. MOTHRA, and GODZILLA VS. MECHAGODZILLA.
Original scores composed by Akira Ifukube, Masao Sato and others.
The Best of Godzilla is a superb collection of original tracks from the scores for 15 of the sci-fi/fantasy films, from Ishiro Honda's original neo-realist masterpiece Godzilla (1954) to Terror of Mechagodzilla (1975). Akira Ifukube's music is the best of the work of several composers featured, and, fortunately, makes up the bulk of the material here. Some good parts of his original score for the original Godzilla are left out, but the essential highlights are present, as are the best moments from Ifukube's best middle-period score, the menacing music to Destroy All Monsters. The sound is high quality, a match for the far more expensive Japanese CDs of the individual soundtracks, although one notices an improvement in the recording of the '70s scores, which have richer textures and fuller tones. The scores for some of the later movies, written by Riichiroh Manabe, sound too much like pop music. The only other major flaw is the inclusion of a version of the "Godzilla" theme by Neil Norman and his band. ~ Bruce Eder