A Celebration of New Orleans Music to Benefit the Musicares Hurricane Relief
by Various Artists
|You Save:||$1.80 (10% Off)|
Temporarily Out of Stock: We'll get more as soon as possible
- by Various Artists ~ New Orleans Party Classics ~ $13.57
- by Various Artists ~ Our New Orleans: A Benefit Album for the Gulf Coast ~ $17.08
- by Rosanne Cash ~ The River & the Thread [Deluxe Edition] ~ $17.42
- by The New Orleans Social Club ~ Sing Me Back Home ~ $12.05
- Released: October 4, 2005
- Originally Released: 2005
- Label: Marsalis Music
- 1.Dirty Dozen Brass BandMardi Gras in New Orleans
- 2.Davell CrawfordSomething You Got
- 3.Harry Connick, Jr. with Branford MarsalisGood To Be Home
- 4.Irma Thomas, Second LineMedley: I Done Got Over / Iko Iko / Hey Pocky Way
- 5.Al JohnsonCarnival Time
- 6.Bo Dollis and the Wild MagnoliasMeet de Boys on de Battlefront
- 7.Eddie BoCheck Mr. Popeye
- 8.ReBirth Brass BandDo Whatcha Wanna, Pt. 3
- 9.Jelly Roll MortonI'm Alabama Bound
- 10.James BookerLawdy Miss Clawdy
- 11.Theryl de Clouet with GalacticI Get Lifted
- 12.New Orleans NightcrawlersKeep On Gwine
- 13.Branford Marsalis QuartetB's Paris Blues
- 14.Professor LonghairCuttin' Out
- 15.Walter Wolfman Washington and the RoadmastersFunkyard
- 16.Johnny Adams and Aaron NevilleNever Alone
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Personnel: Walter "Wolfman" Washington (vocals, guitar); Davell Crawford, Eddie Bo, James Booker, Jelly Roll Morton (vocals, piano); Jenell Marshall (vocals, snare drum); Theodore "Bo" Dollis (vocals, tambourine); Charles Elam III, Nick Daniels, Irma Thomas, Earl J. Smith, Jr., Aaron Neville, Johnny Adams, Theryl DeClouet (vocals); Jeff Raines, Wilson Victory, Doug Wamble, Renard Poch‚ (guitar); Jason Mingledorff (clarinet, tenor saxophone); Branford Marsalis (soprano saxophone, tenor saxophone); Snakebite Jacobs (tenor saxophone, baritone saxophone); Emile Hall, Warner Williams (tenor saxophone, background vocals); Alvin "Red" Tyler, Roderick Paulin, Eric Traub (tenor saxophone); Roger Lewis, Ben Ellman (baritone saxophone); Frank Parker , Lawrence Weber (trumpet, background vocals); Kevin Clark , Efrem Towns, Barney Floyd, Glen Andrews, Gregory Michael Davis II, Larry Carter, Kermit Ruffins (trumpet); Reginald Stuart, Dave Woodard, Charles Joseph (trombone); Kirk Joseph, Matt Perrine (sousaphone); Luca Fredericksen (piano, Wurlitzer organ); Doc Watkins (piano, background vocals); Harry Connick, Jr. (piano); Richard Vogel (Clavinet); Chris Severin (6-string bass); Wilbert Widow, Jeff "Tain" Watts, Johnny Vidacovich, Stanton Moore, Herman V. Ernest III (drums); Henry Singleton (bass drum, background vocals); Lionel Batiste, Frank Oxley, Keith "Bass Drum Shorty" Frazier (bass drum); Peter Kaplan, Kenneth Austin (snare drum); Jabial Reed, Melaney Batiste, Erica Falls (background vocals).
Liner Note Authors: Neil Portnow; Branford Marsalis.
Photographer: Scott Billington.
Arrangers: Davell Crawford; Tom McDermott.
A collection of tracks from the Rounder Records and Marsalis Music labels assembled as a benefit to assist the Musicares Hurricane Relief project following the ravages of Hurricane Katrina in 2005, A Celebration of New Orleans Music samples nearly 65 years of music from the Crescent City, and includes second-line brass bands, R&B, modern jazz, funk, Mardi Gras Indian music, gospel, and sometimes all of these forms mashed together in one delightful gumbo. Among the highlights are the Dirty Dozen Brass Band's second-line opener, "Mardi Gras in New Orleans," Davell Crawford's gospel-injected "Something You Get," Bo Dollis & the Wild Magnolias' loose and rhythmic "Meet de Boys on de Battlefront," and Jelly Roll Morton's "I'm Alabama Bound," from his informal sessions for Alan Lomax and the Library of Congress in 1938. The end result of all of this is a wonderful introduction to the wild, joyous, and ebullient spirit of New Orleans music. ~ Steve Leggett
WJMK 104.3 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 60s (CD)
$2.98 on SALE
Country Top Hits of the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s (4-CD)
$19.98 on SALE
WCBS FM101.1 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 70s (CD)
$2.98 on SALE
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 5 ratings.
Based on 5 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!