Marvin Gaye The Master (1961-1984) (4-CD)
|You Save:||$6 (10% Off)|
Temporarily Out of Stock: We'll get more as soon as possible
Format: CD (4 Discs)
- by Stevie Wonder ~ At The Close of A Century (4-CD) ~ $52.45
- by The Temptations ~ Emperors of Soul (5-CD) ~ $64.84
- by Pharrell Williams ~ G I R L ~ $7.19
Products with a similar style:
- Stevie Wonder The Best of 20th Century Masters / Millennium Collection (CD) ~ $8.34
- Stevie Wonder Conversation Peace (CD) ~ $12.35
- Stevie Wonder The Definitive Collection (CD) ~ $9.72
- Stevie Wonder Motown Legends: I Was Made to Love Her (CD) ~ $5.97
- Number of Discs: 4
- Released: April 25, 1995
- Originally Released: 2000
- Label: Motown
Q - 7/95, p.1415 Stars - Indispensable - "...These are some of the most beautiful moments in the history of soul."
Q - p.1304 stars out of 5 - "Marvin Gaye made some of the most life-affirming music ever recorded....Twenty years after his death, the full reach of Gaye's genius is revealed on THE MASTER."
Uncut - 8/00, p.905 stars out of 5 - "...Songs of social comment, sexual desire and spiritual desperation so powerful that they left most of the competition stalled at the lights..."
Village Voice (2/20/96) - Tied for #3 on the Reissues list of Village Voice's 1995 Pazz & Jop Critics' Poll.
Mojo (Publisher) - 7/95, p.111"...Handsome 4-CD digest of the man's magnificent work....[Marvin Gaye] became...an inimitable voice capable of touching anybody, anywhere....There's a universe in every note."
NME (Magazine) - 6/3/95, p.4810 (out of 10) - "...A dream package...flush with myriad unreleased tracks, and enhanced with exemplary digital remastering from original sources...the most all-encompassing and astutely assessed compilation of his work currently available..."
Tracks on Disc 1:
- 1.Stubborn Kind Of Fellow
- 2.Pride And Joy
- 3.Hitch Hike
- 4.Wherever I Lay My Hat (That's My Home)
- 5.What Do You Want With Him
- 6.Once Upon A Time
- 7.What's The Matter With You Baby
- 8.Can I Get A Witness
- 9.Couldn't Ask For More
- 10.You're Wonderful
- 11.I Wonder
- 12.You're A Wonderful One
- 13.It's Got To Be Love
- 14.Try It Baby
- 16.My Love For You
- 17.How Sweet It Is (To Be Loved By You)
- 18.Baby Don't You Do It
- 19.Just Like A Man
- 20.Pretty Little Baby
- 21.Talk About A Good Feeling
- 22.I'll Be Doggone
- 23.Little Darling (I Need You)
- 24.One More Heartache
- 25.Ain't That Peculiar
- 26.You're The One For Me
- 27.Take This Heart Of Mine
- 28.Your Unchanging Love
Tracks on Disc 2:
- 1.It Takes Two
- 2.I Couldn't Help Falling For You
- 3.Lonely Lover
- 4.Without Your Sweet Lovin'
- 5.Ain't No Mountain High Enough
- 6.If I Could Build My Whole World Around You
- 7.Your Precious Love
- 8.If This World Were Mine
- 9.Without You (My World Is Lonely)
- 10.Together We Stand (Divided We Fall)
- 13.I Heard It Through The Grapevine
- 14.You're What's Happening (In The World Today)
- 15.This Love Starved Heart Of Mine (It's Killing Me)
- 16.Ain't Nothing Like The Real Thing
- 17.Keep On Lovin' Me Honey
- 18.You're All I Need To Get By
- 19.Too Busy Thinking About My Baby
- 20.More Than A Heart Can Stand
- 21.How Can I Forget
- 22.That's The Way Love Is
- 24.The End Of Our Road
- 25.Good Lovin' Ain't Easy To Come By
- 26.What You Gave Me
Tracks on Disc 3:
- 1.What's Going On
- 2.Save The Children
- 3.Mercy Mercy Me (The Ecology)
- 4.Inner City Blues (Make Me Wanna Holler)
- 5.I'm Going Home
- 6.Piece Of Clay
- 7.You're The Man - Pts. I & II
- 8.Checking Out (Double Clutch)
- 9.Trouble Man
- 10.Let's Get It On
- 11.Come Get To This
- 12.Just To Keep You Satisfied
- 13.Pledging My Love
- 14.My Mistake (Was To Love You)
- 15.Distant Lover
- 16.I Want You
- 17.After The Dance
Tracks on Disc 4:
- 1.Got To Give It Up, Part 1
- 2.Here, My Dear
- 3.When Did You Stop Loving Me, When Did I Stop Loving You
- 5.Anna's Song
- 6.A Funky Space Reincarnation
- 7.When Did You Stop Loving Me, When Did I Stop Loving You
- 8.She Needs Me
- 9.Why Did I Choose You
- 10.Life Is For Learning
- 11.Funk Me
- 12.Love Me Now Or Love Me Later
- 13.Ego Tripping Out
- 14.The Star Spangled Banner
- 15.I Heard It Through The Grapevine
- 16.Rockin' After Midnight
- 17.Sexual Healing
- 18.The Lord's Prayer
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
THE MASTER (1961-1984) features an 89-song overview of Marvin Gaye's career, including 18 previously unreleased tracks as well as various rarities. The package contains a 68-page booklet with photos.
Personnel includes: Marvin Gaye (vocals, keyboards, drums, percussion); Tammi Terrell, Diana Ross, Gladys Knight & The Pips, Mary Wells, Kim Weston (vocals); Gordon Banks, Ray Parker, Jr. (guitar); Joel Peskin (saxophone); Nolan Smith, Dr. George Shaw, Ray Brown (trumpet); Sidney Muldrew (French horn); Sonny Burke (piano, Fender Rhodes); Joe Sample (piano); Joe Hunter, Richard "Popcorn" Wylie (keyboards); Elmira Collins (vibraphone); Chuck Rainey, Wilton Felder (bass); Bugsy Wilcox, Preston Wilcox (drums); Gary Jones (percussion, congas).
Producers include: William "Mickey" Stevenson, Norman Whitfield, Brian Holland, Lamont Dozier, Clarence Paul.
Compilation producer: Amy Herot.
Includes liner notes by David Ritz.
Personnel: Marvin Gaye (piano, keyboards, drums, percussion); Martha & the Vandellas (vocals); Dave Hamilton (guitar, vibraphone); David T. Walker, Dennis Coffey, Eddie Willis, Robert White , Lewis Shelton, Gordon Banks, Curtis Anthony Nolen, Wali Ali, Larry Veeder, Jay Graydon, Melvin "Wah Wah" Ragin, Ray Parker, Jr., Joe Messina, Johnny McGhee (guitar); Carole Crosby (harp); Gordon Staples (violin, strings); Virginia Halfmann, Beatriz Budinszky, James Waring, Alvin Score, Rick Margitza, Felix Resnick (violin); David Ireland, Edouard Kesner, Meyer Shapiro, Nathan Gordon (viola); Thaddeus Markiewicz, Italo Babini (cello); Detroit Symphony Orchestra (strings); William Perich, Danya Hartwick (flute); Larry Nozero (saxophone, soprano saxophone); Angelo Carlisi (saxophone, alto saxophone); Fernando Harkness, Wild Bill Moore (saxophone, tenor saxophone); Danny Turner , Andrew "Mike" Terry, Eugene BeeBee Moore, Ronnie Wakefield, Lanny Austin, Ernie Rodgers, Lefty Edwards, Bernie Peacock, Eli Fontaine, Henry Cosby, Kasuku Mafia, Thomas "Beans" Bowles, Joel Peskin, Ted Buckner (saxophone); Ernie Fields Jr., Eli Fountain (alto saxophone); George Benson , Charles Owen (tenor saxophone); Tate Houston (baritone saxophone); Kenny Mason, Floyd Jones , Eddie Jones , George Shaw , Russell Conway, Billy Horner, John Wilson , Don Slaughter, Herbie Williams, John Trudell, Maurice Davis , Marcus Belgrave, Nolan Andrew Smith, Ray Brown (trumpet); Sidney Muldrow, Sidney Muldrew (French horn); George Bohannon, Zinovi Bistritzky, Patrick Lanier, Jimmy Wilkins, Bill Johnson , Don White , Bob Cousar, Paul Riser, Carl Raetz (trombone); John Barnes, Sonny Burke , Jerry Peters (piano, Fender Rhodes piano); Joe Sample, Marvin Jenkins (piano); Johnny Griffith (celesta, keyboards); James Gittens (keyboards, vibraphone); Raymond Crossley, Earl Vanduke, Popcorn Wylie, Ted Sheely, William Bryant, Ivy Jo Hunter (keyboards); Jack Ashford (vibraphone, tambourine, percussion); Elmira Collins, Jack Brokensha (vibraphone, percussion); Victor Feldman, Emil Richards (vibraphone); Max Janowsky (upright bass); Eddie "Bongo" Brown (drums, congas, bongos, percussion); Paul Humphries, Frederick Waits, Clifford Mack, Bugsy Wilcox, George McGregor, Preston Wilcox, James Gadson, Andrew Smith , Benny Benjamin, Chet Forest , Richard "Pistol" Allen, Uriel Jones (drums); Earl DeRouen, Bobbye Hall (congas, bongos); Gary Jones (congas, percussion); John Arnold , Son Ship, Sunship, Gary Coleman (percussion); Jan Hunter, Lem Barney, Elgie Stover, Frankie Gaye, Bobby Rodgers, The Andantes (background vocals).
Liner Note Author: David Ritz.
Unknown Contributor Role: Emil Richards.
Arrangers: David Blumberg; Dale Oehler; Coleridge-Taylor Perkinson ; Gene Page; Marvin Gaye; Paul Riser; Rene Hall; Bob Gaudio; David Van De Pitte.
Stevie Wonder is an unarguable genius. That allowed, a credible case can still be made that the late Marvin Gaye was, pound for pound, the single most talented artist to have come to prominence at Motown Records in the '60s. Gaye, in fact, could do it all. He was a formidable songwriter, a supremely funky studio drummer, a highly charismatic performer, and, of course, an amazingly expressive singer, equally at home with the R&B and soul numbers that made his name as with the earlier pop standards he loved equally.
This four-CD set is the definitive Marvin Gaye anthology, providing a fully rounded overview of his career, from the great early blues and gospel based hits to the sensual crooning of his final days and everything in between. THE MASTER is also fleshed out with 18 revelatory unreleased tracks, both studio and live (trust us: you have to hear his in-concert version of "The Star Spangled Banner" to believe it).
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 3 ratings.
Based on 3 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Sounds of The Fabulous Fifties (Limited Distribution) (3-CD...
$8.48 LABOR DAY
WCBS FM101.1 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 70s (CD)
$2.98 on SALE