Charlie Parker The Complete Verve Master Takes (3-CD)
|You Save:||$5 (10% Off)|
Currently Out of Stock: We'll get more as soon as possible
Format: CD (3 Discs)
- by Louis Armstrong ~ The Complete Hot Five and Hot Seven Recordings [Columbia / Legacy] (4-CD Box Set) ~ $25.23
- by Charlie Parker ~ The Complete Savoy and Dial Master Takes (3-CD) ~ $38.65
- by Charlie Parker ~ Complete Savoy Live Performances: Sept. 29, 1947-Oct. 25, 1950 (4-CD) ~ $40.69
- by Dizzy Gillespie ~ Town Hall, New York City, June 22, 1945 (Live) ~ $14.80
Products with a similar style:
- Thelonious Monk / John Coltrane Thelonious Monk Quartet With John Coltrane At Carnegie Hall (CD) ~ $17.08
- John Coltrane My Favorite Things (Deluxe) (CD) ~ $10.43
- Number of Discs: 3
- Released: October 21, 2003
- Originally Released: 2004
- Label: Verve
Tracks on Disc 1:
- $0.99 on iTunes1.The Bird
- $0.99 on iTunes2.Cardboard
- $0.99 on iTunes3.Visa
- $0.99 on iTunes4.Segment - Tune X
- $0.99 on iTunes5.Passport - Tune Y (Rare)
- $0.99 on iTunes6.Passport - Tune Z (Common)
- $1.29 on iTunes7.Just Friends
- $0.99 on iTunes8.Everything Happens To Me
- $0.99 on iTunes9.April In Paris
- $0.99 on iTunes10.Summertime
- $0.99 on iTunes11.I Didn't Know What Time It Was
- $0.99 on iTunes12.If I Should Lose You
- $0.99 on iTunes13.Star Eyes
- $0.99 on iTunes14.Blues (Fast)
- $0.99 on iTunes15.I'm In The Mood For Love
- $1.29 on iTunes16.Bloomdido
- $0.99 on iTunes17.An Oscar For Treadwell
- $0.99 on iTunes18.Mohawk
- $0.99 on iTunes19.My Melancholy Baby
- $0.99 on iTunes20.Leap Frog
- $0.99 on iTunes21.Relaxing With Lee
- $0.99 on iTunes22.Dancing In The Dark
- $0.99 on iTunes23.Out Of Nowhere
- $0.99 on iTunes24.Laura
Tracks on Disc 2:
- $0.99 on iTunes1.East Of The Sun (West Of The Moon)
- $0.99 on iTunes2.They Can't Take That Away From Me
- $0.99 on iTunes3.Easy To Love
- $0.99 on iTunes4.I'm In The Mood For Love
- $0.99 on iTunes5.I'll Remember April
- $0.99 on iTunes6.Au Privave
- $0.99 on iTunes7.She Rote
- $1.29 on iTunes8.K.C. Blues
- $0.99 on iTunes9.Star Eyes
- $0.99 on iTunes10.My Little Suede Shoes
- $0.99 on iTunes11.Un Poquito De Tu Amor
- $0.99 on iTunes12.Tico Tico
- $0.99 on iTunes13.Fiesta
- $0.99 on iTunes14.Why Do I Love You?
- $0.99 on iTunes15.Blues For Alice
- $0.99 on iTunes16.Si Si
- $0.99 on iTunes17.Swedish Schnapps
- $0.99 on iTunes18.Back Home Blues
- $0.99 on iTunes19.Loverman
- $0.99 on iTunes20.Temptation
- $0.99 on iTunes21.Lover
- $0.99 on iTunes22.Autumn In New York
- $0.99 on iTunes23.Stella By Starlight
- $0.99 on iTunes24.Mama Inez
- $0.99 on iTunes25.La Cucaracha
Tracks on Disc 3:
- $0.99 on iTunes1.Estrellita
- $0.99 on iTunes2.Begin The Beguine
- $0.99 on iTunes3.La Paloma
- $0.99 on iTunes4.Night And Day
- $0.99 on iTunes5.Almost Like Being In Love
- $0.99 on iTunes6.I Can't Get Started
- $0.99 on iTunes7.What Is This Thing Called Love?
- $0.99 on iTunes8.The Song Is You
- $0.99 on iTunes9.Laird Baird
- $0.99 on iTunes10.Kim
- $0.99 on iTunes11.Cosmic Rays
- $0.99 on iTunes12.In The Still Of The Night
- $0.99 on iTunes13.Old Folks
- $0.69 on iTunes14.If I Love Again
- $0.99 on iTunes15.Chi-Chi
- $0.99 on iTunes16.I Remember You
- $0.99 on iTunes17.Now's The Time
- $0.99 on iTunes18.Confirmation
- $0.99 on iTunes19.I Get A Kick Out Of You
- $0.99 on iTunes20.Just One Of Those Things
- $0.99 on iTunes21.My Heart Belongs To Daddy
- $0.99 on iTunes22.I've Got You Under My Skin
- $0.99 on iTunes23.Love For Sale
- $0.99 on iTunes24.I Love Paris
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Personnel includes: Charlie Parker (alto saxophone); Gil Evans (arranger, conductor); Flip Phillips (tenor saxophone); Red Rodney, Miles Davis, Kenny Dorham, Dizzy Gillespie (trumpet); Tommy Turk (trombone); Mitch Miller (oboe); Oscar Peterson, Walter Bishop, Jr., Al Haig, Hank Jones, John Lewis, Thelonious Monk (piano); Billy Bauer, Freddie Green (guitar); Ray Brown, Percy Heath, Teddy Kotick, Charles Mingus, Tommy Potter, Curly Russell (bass); Arthur Taylor, Kenny Clarke, Roy Haynes, Shelly Manne, Buddy Rich, Max Roach (drums); Dave Lambert Singers.
Producer: Norman Granz.
Compilation producer: Bryan Koniarz.
Recorded between 1947 & 1954. Includes liner notes by Phil Schaap.
Personnel: Charlie Parker (alto saxophone); Dave Lambert & His Singers (vocals); Dave Lambert (tenor); Jerry Parker (baritone); Butch Birdsall (bass voice); Jerome Darr, Freddie Green, Art Ryerson, Billy Bauer (guitar); Myor Rosen, Verlye Mills (harp); Bronislaw Gimpel, Harry Melnikoff, Sylvan Shulman, Zelly Smirnoff, Howard Kay, Sam Caplan, Milton Lomask, Samuel Rand, Jack Zayde, Max Hollander (violin); Frank Brieff, Isadore Zir (viola); Frank Miller , Maurice Brown (cello); Al Block (flute); Hal McKusick (clarinet); Mitch Miller (oboe, English horn); Eddie Brown, Tommy Mace (oboe); Manny Thaler (bassoon); Art Drelinger (woodwinds); Harry Terrill, Murray Williams, Nuncio "Toots" Mondello (alto saxophone); Flip Phillips, Hank Ross (tenor saxophone); Danny Bank, Stan Webb (baritone saxophone); Chris Griffin , Carl Poole, Dizzy Gillespie, Kenny Dorham, Al Porcino, Miles Davis, Red Rodney, Benny Harris , Jimmy Maxwell, Bernie Privin (trumpet); Joseph Singer, Junior Collins (French horn); Tommy Turk, Lou McGarity, Will Bradley, Bill Harris , Bart Varsalona (trombone); Tony Aless, John Richard Lewis, Hank Jones , Al Haig, Lou Stein, Oscar Peterson, Stan Freeman, Thelonious Monk, Walter Bishop, Jr., Bernie Leighton (piano); Don Lamond, Kenny Clarke, Max Roach, Roy Haynes, Art Taylor, Shelly Manne, Buddy Rich (drums); Luis Miranda , Carlos Vidal (congas); Jose Mangual (bongos).
Liner Note Authors: Max Roach; Neal Hefti; Phil Schaap; Red Rodney.
Recording information: Carnegie Hall, New York, NY (12/??/1947-12/10/1954); Fine Sound Studio, New York, NY (12/??/1947-12/10/1954); Fulton Recording, New York, NY (12/??/1947-12/10/1954); Mercury Recording, New York, NY (12/??/1947-12/10/1954); New York, NY (12/??/1947-12/10/1954); RCA 24th Street Studios, New York, NY (12/??/1947-12/10/1954); Reeves Sound Studio, New York, NY (12/??/1947-12/10/1954).
Illustrators: Sean Addy; Motoko Hada.
Photographers: Katherine Holzman Goldblatt; Norio Hada; Motoko Hada; Burt Goldblatt; Leslie Jean Bart; Hugh Bell; Herman Leonard.
Arrangers: Joe Lipman; Gil Evans; Jimmy Carroll.
Along with a complete duplication of the 24 performances included in Complete Verve Masters with Strings, which was issued a year earlier than this set, there are 50 other master takes here produced by Norman Granz, ranging from a 1947 Carnegie Hall date to Parker's last in 1954. Many of the cuts come from 1950-1952. Half of the 1949 sessions are string dates; the rest come from sessions with Kenny Dorham, Tommy Turk, Al Haig, Tommy Potter, and Carlos Vidal. The most rewarding performances are a reunion of sorts with Dizzy Gillespie and Thelonious Monk, along with Curly Russell and Buddy Rich, from April 1950. These tracks are nearly seminal versions of "Mohawk," "Leapfrog," and "Relaxin' with Lee," along with fine reads of "Bloomdido," "An Oscar for Treadwell," and "My Melancholy Baby." Four other cuts come from a brief reunion with Miles Davis and Max Roach in January of 1951 with Teddy Kotick and Walter Bishop, Jr. rounding out the band, and include smokingly hot versions of "Au Privave," "She Rote," and "K.C Blues." Other musicians who appear here are Oscar Peterson, Red Rodney, Kenny Clarke, John Lewis, and Billy Bauer, among dozens of others. The package is beautiful in a decorated, painted silver metal box that the CDs fold out of, but the booklet -- like Universal's Joni Mitchell set -- falls apart because of bogus stitching. There is undoubtedly great music here, although it would have worked better as a double set to respect those who were righteous enough to buy the strings disc. ~ Thom Jurek
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 10 ratings.
Based on 10 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Ultimate Rock & Roll Time Capsule, Volume 3 - Disc 2 (CD)(3)
99¢ on SALE
WCBS FM101.1 - Motown, Soul & Great Rock 'N Roll: Soul (CD)(2)
$2.98 on SALE