Etta James The Chess Box (3-CD)
LOW STOCK: Only 2 copies left
|SUPER SAVINGS:||$38.65 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$11.33 (23% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- by Etta James ~ Blues To The Bone ~ $10.79
- by Willie Dixon ~ The Chess Box (2-CD Box Set) ~ $23.22
- by Etta James ~ The Complete Modern and Kent Recordings (2-CD) ~ $16.63
- by Etta James ~ Tell Mama - The Complete Muscle Shoals Sessions ~ $8.84
Products with a similar style:
- Susan Tedeschi Hope And Desire (CD) ~ $9.89
- Number of Discs: 3
- Released: June 27, 2000
- Originally Released: 1991
- Label: Chess
Tracks on Disc 1:
- 1.All I Could Do Is Cry
- 2.My Dearest Darling
- 3.If I Can't Have You
- 4.I Just Want To Make Love To You
- 5.Anything To Say You're Mine
- 6.In My Diary
- 8.A Sunday Kind Of Love
- 9.At Last
- 10.Stormy Weather
- 11.Trust In Me
- 12.Don't Cry Baby
- 13.Fool That I Am
- 14.One For My Baby (And One More For The Road)
- 15.Waiting For Charlie (To Come Home)
- 16.Don't Get Around Much Anymore
- 17.Next Door To The Blues
- 18.I Don't Want It
- 19.Something's Got A Hold On Me
- 20.Stop The Wedding
- 21.These Foolish Things (Remind Me Of You)
- 22.You Got Me (Where You Want Me)
- 23.I Want To Be Loved (But Only By You)
- 24.Prisoner Of Love
- 26.Be Honest With Me
Tracks on Disc 2:
- 1.Would It Make Any Difference To You
- 2.Look Who's Blue
- 3.Pay Back
- 4.Two Sides (To Every Story)
- 5.At Last
- 6.Baby What You Want Me To Do
- 7.Lovin' You More Every Day
- 8.I Wish Someone Would Care
- 9.Bobby Is His Name
- 10.Only Time Will Tell
- 11.(I Don't Need Nobody To Tell Me) How To Treat My Man
- 12.In The Basement, Part One
- 13.Lover Man (Oh, Where Can He Be?)
- 14.Do I Make Myself Clear
- 15.I Prefer You
- 16.It Must Be Your Love
- 17.842-3089 (Call My Name)
- 18.I'd Rather Go Blind
- 19.Tell Mama
- 20.Do Right Woman, Do Right Man
- 22.I Worship The Ground You Walk On
- 23.You Took It
- 24.Almost Persuaded
- 25.You Got It
- 26.Light My Fire
Tracks on Disc 3:
- 1.Slow And Easy
- 2.The Soul Of A Man
- 3.Miss Pitiful
- 4.Losers Weepers
- 5.I Found A Love
- 7.Never My Love
- 8.I Never Meant To Love Him
- 9.You Lost That Lovin' Feelin'
- 10.Sail Away
- 11.Down So Low
- 12.All The Way Down
- 13.God's Song (That's Why I Love Mankind)
- 14.Feelin' Uneasy
- 15.St. Louis Blues
- 16.Gonna Have Some Fun Tonight
- 17.Let's Burn Down The Cornfield
- 18.Sookie Sookie
- 19.Out On The Street Again
- 20.Lovin' Arms
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Personnel includes: Etta James (vocals); Riley Hampton (conductor); Harvey Fuqua, Sugar Pie DeSanto (vocals); Matt Murphy, Sidney Pinchback, Cornell Dupree (guitar); Clifford Clark (alto saxophone); Ben Branch (tenor saxophone); Delbert Dill (baritone saxophone); Burgess Gardner, Oscar Brasheer (trumpet); Morris Ellis (trombone); John Young, Milton Bland (piano); Richard Tee (keyboards); Charles Stepney (vibraphone); Reggie Boyd, David Henderson, Gordon Edwards (bass); Lawrence Hamilton, Steve Gadd (drums); Phillip Thomas (percussion).
The Kinfolks: David T. Walker (guitar); Garvell Cooper (tenor saxophone); Vonzell Cooper (organ); Marion Wright (bass); Freeman Brown (drums);
Producers include: Ralph Bass, Billy Davis, Monk Higgins, Rick Hall, Marshall Cress.
Compilation producer: Andy McKaie.
Recorded between January 1960 and December 1974. Includes liner notes by Lee Hildebrand.
Digitally remastered by Erick Labson (Universal Mastering Studios-West, North Hollywood, California).
Audio Remasterers: Erick Labson; Mike Ragogna.
Audio Remixers: Erick Labson; John Strother; Bill Inglot.
Liner Note Authors: Esmond Edwards; Lee Hildebrand; Marshall Chess.
Recording information: Chicago Ill.
Photographers: Michael Ochs; Esmond Edwards; Jason Pastori; Ray Avery; Gary Johns.
This three-CD set covering Etta James's stint with Chess is a fascinating chronological journey that includes a number of previously unreleased tracks. Aided by arranger Riley Hampton's sweeping string arrangements, James's early '60s material consisted of pop and R&B hits that were a mix of contemporary originals ("All I Could Do Was Cry," "My Dearest Darling") and classic standards ("Stormy Weather," "At Last"). Even throughout this phase of sophistication, James injected her earthy sexuality into a pair of Willie Dixon-penned blues covers--"Spoonful" and "I Just Want to Make Love to You," the latter of which was revived for a millennial ad campaign.
By 1967, James was down in Muscle Shoals churning out gritty interpretations of Otis Redding ("Security") and Aretha Franklin ("Do Right Woman, Do Right Man"), while dabbling in country (David Houston's "Almost Persuaded"). James's all-too short foray into Philly soul ("Never Love") gave way to producer Gabriel Mekler's attempts to make her a rock singer. James was equal to the challenge, and the remaining few tracks of this box set find her boldly mastering material by Randy Newman ("Sail Away"), Tracy Nelson ("Down So Low"), and W.C. Handy ("St. Louis Blues").
20th Century Masters: The Best of Etta James Millennium... (CD)
$4.48 Super Savings
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 14 ratings.
Based on 14 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
WJMK 104.3 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 60s (CD)
$2.98 on SALE
Country Top Hits of the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s (4-CD)
$19.98 on SALE
WCBS FM101.1 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 70s (CD)
$2.98 on SALE