James Brown Hell
|LABOR DAY SALE:||$6.74 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$5.24 (44% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: February 28, 1995
- Originally Released: 1995
- Label: Polydor / Umgd
- 3.My Thang
- 4.Sayin' And Doin' It
- 5.Please, Please, Please
- 6.When The Saints Go Marching In
- 7.These Foolish Things Remind Me Of You
- 8.Stormy Monday
- 9.A Man Has To Go Back To The Crossroad Before He Finds Himself
- 11.I Can't Stand It '76'
- 12.Lost Someone
- 13.Don't Tell A Lie About Me And I Won't Tell The Truth On You
- 14.Papa Don't Take No Mess
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Personnel includes: James Brown (vocals, piano, organ, synthesizer); Lyn Collins (vocals); Jimmy Nolen, Hearlon "Cheese" Martin, Joe Beck, Sam Brown, Charlie Brown (guitar); Joe Farrell (reeds, tenor saxophone); Eddie Daniels, David Tofani (reeds); Maceo Parker, Jimmy Parker, David Sanborn (alto saxophone); St. Clair Pinckney, Frank Vicari (tenor saxophone); Alfred "Pee Wee" Ellis (baritone saxophone); Isiah "Ike" Oakley, Lew Soloff, Jon Faddis (trumpet); Jimmy Buffington (French horn); Fred Wesley (trombone, tambourine, percussion, background vocals); Michael Gipson, Tom Harrell (trombone); Dave Matthews (piano, electric piano); Fred Thomas, Gordon Edwards, Charles Sherrell (bass); John "Jabo" Starks, John Morgan, Jimmy Madison (drums).
Originally released on Polydor (9001). Includes liner notes by Alan Leeds.
Digitally remastered by Gary Mayo (Polygram Studios).
Personnel: James Brown (vocals, piano); Sam T. Brown, Hearlon "Cheese" Martin, Jimmy Nolen, Joe Beck , Charlie Brown (guitar); David Tofani, Eddie Daniels (reeds); David Sanborn, Jim Parker , Maceo Parker (alto saxophone); Frank Vicari, Joe Farrell, St. Clair Pinckney (tenor saxophone); Pee Wee Ellis (baritone saxophone); Isiah "Ike" Oakley, Jon Faddis, Lew Soloff (trumpet); James Buffington (French horn); Fred Wesley (trombone, tambourine, percussion, background vocals); Michael Gipson, Tom Harrell (trombone); David Matthews (piano, electric piano); James Madison , Harvey Mason, Sr. , John Morgan , John Starks (drums); Johnny Griggs (congas); Ralph MacDonald, Bob Both, Sue Evans (percussion); Johnny Scotton, Martha Harvin, Deborah McDuffie, Maretha Stewart, Lyn Collins, Hilda Harris (background vocals).
Audio Remasterer: Gary N. Mayo.
Liner Note Author: Alan Leeds.
Photographer: Norman Hunter.
Arrangers: David Matthews ; James Brown.
HELL was released at an interesting juncture in Brown's career. This 1974 album came in the wake of the highly regarded PAYBACK, and the unusual decision was made to include re-recorded versions of seven previously released songs. The packaging of the album leads one to believe that this is Brown's big social statement about the plight of those living in American ghettoes. Only the title song seems to address these issues, however powerfully. That's not to say HELL isn't full of captivating cuts, though. From the unrelenting '70s funk of "Sayin' and Doin' It" to the Latin feel given to "Please, Please, Please" this recording is full of obscure treasures. A few of the tracks feature the JB's, but most include killer session players like Gordon Edwards and Jimmy Madison. Interesting trivial note: almost all the songs are inexplicably separated by the crash of a gong.
James BrownLove Power Peace: Live At The Olympia, Paris 1971 (CD)
$9.72 LABOR DAY
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 12 ratings.
Based on 12 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Saturday Night Live - Lost & Found: SNL in the 80s (DVD)
$4.98 on SALE
Out of StockSave for Later
Top ranking titles in the R&B / Soul genre:
- War Me And Baby Brother / Ballero (45) ~ $2.99 on SALE
- The Gap Band Early In The Morning / Open Your Mind (Wide) (45) ~ $2.99 on SALE
- Various Artists Soul Classics, Volume 1 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- The Drifters There Goes My Baby: 10-Song Collection (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Heatwave The Groove Line / Gangsters of The Groove (45) ~ $2.99 on SALE
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Sounds of The Fabulous Fifties (Limited Distribution) (3-CD Box Set) ~ $8.48 LABOR DAY
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists WCBS FM101.1 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 70s (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Jimmy Buffett Down To Earth / High Cumberland Jubilee (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - JukeBox Giants, Volume 1 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE