Merle Haggard Prison
|You Save:||$3 (43% Off)|
Unavailable: Sold Out
sku: CSP 34453
- by Roger Miller ~ All Time Greatest Hits ~ $8.34
- by Merle Haggard ~ Serving 190 Proof ~ $5.97
- by Willie Nelson ~ To All the Girls... ~ $7.44
Products with a similar style:
- Waylon Jennings / Jessi Colter All American Country (CD) ~ $4.99 (Save 37%)
- Waylon Jennings Eagle (CD) ~ $5.97 (Save 25%)
- Waylon Jennings The One And Only / Heartaches By The Numbers (CD) ~ $3.98 (Save 69%)
- Waylon Jennings Too Dumb For New York City, Too Ugly For L.A. (CD) ~ $5.97 (Save 25%)
- Released: September 25, 2001
- Originally Released: 2001
- Label: EMI Special Products
- 1.Mama Tried
- 2.Sing Me Back Home
- 3.Green Green Grass Of Home
- 5.I Made The Prison Band
- 6.Folsom Prison Blues
- 7.I'm A Lonesome Fugitive
- 8.Life In Prison
- 9.Will You Visit Me On Sundays?
- 10.Branded Man
- 11.Medley: Old Time Religion / Pass Me Not / Sweet By And By
All tracks have been digitally remastered.
Perhaps taking a cue from Columbia's theme-centered 2000 series of Johnny Cash compilations (GOD, MURDER, LOVE), Capitol gave Merle Haggard's work a similar treatment in 2001. Like Cash, Haggard was always regarded as a poet of the working class, and the four volumes of this series (HURTIN', DRINKIN', CHEATIN', and PRISON) reflect the proletarian ethos the hard-living Haggard knows so much about. The fact that his Capitol tenure encapsulated Haggard's most commercially and aesthetically successful recording years means that much more impact for this quartet of honky-tonk treasures.
Haggard has more first-hand experience with the subject of PRISON than most country singers. In fact, he was serving a sentence at San Quentin when Johnny Cash played a concert there and inspired the young troublemaker to pursue a career in country music. Accordingly, some of Merle's most acclaimed songs deal with crime and punishment. The outlaw's tale of regret "Mama Tried," and the gospel-tinged death row narrative "Sing Me Back Home" are gems of the Haggard catalogue. "I Made the Prison Band" was written by Hag's Bakersfield cohort Tommy Collins, but it seems made to order for Merle's own life experience. The cold, hard facts of life have seldom been more acutely observed than in the PRISON songs of Merle Haggard.
Country Top Hits of the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s (4-CD)(5)
$19.98 on SALE
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 7 ratings.
Based on 7 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Ultimate Rock & Roll Time Capsule, Volume 3 - Disc 2 (CD)(3)
99¢ on SALE
WCBS FM101.1 - Motown, Soul & Great Rock 'N Roll: Soul (CD)(2)
$2.98 on SALE