On The Charts: IRS Records 1979-1994
by Various Artists
Rare & Hard-To-Find Audio CDs (series)
LOW STOCK: Only 1 copy left
|You Save:||$3 (38% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- by R.E.M. ~ Live at the Olympia (2-CD) ~ $22.34
- Released: October 20, 1998
- Originally Released: 1998
- Label: EMI Special Products
- 1.Our Lips Are Sealed - Go-Gos
- 2.Mexican Radio (Edit) - Wall Of Voodoo
- 3.Only A Lad - Oingo Boingo
- 4.The Future's So Bright, I Gotta Wear Shades - Timbuk 3
- 5.Save It For Later - The English Beat
- 6.She Drives Me Crazy - Fine Young Cannibals
- 7.Mad About You (Single Mix) - Belinda Carlisle
- 8.Tenderness - General Public
- 9.The One I Love - R.E.M.
- 10.Joey - Concrete Blonde
- 11.Rain In The Summer Time (Edit) - The Alarm
- 12.Dizz Knee Land - Dada
Producers include: Richard Gottehrer, Rob Freeman, Richard Mazda, Pete Solley, Oingo Boingo.
Compilation producers: John Guarnieri, Sig Sigworth.
Audio Remixer: William Orbit.
Unknown Contributor Role: Johnny Guarnieri.
Arranger: Michael Lloyd .
IRS Records was one of the giants of the post-punk era. They cultivated a roster filled with groundbreaking underground rockers, from the English Beat to R.E.M. Like most great labels, they stayed around a little too long, so their message was diluted toward the end of their life, but in their prime, they were a diverse, exceptional label. Since it sticks to the label's crossover hits, On the Charts: IRS Records 1979-1994 doesn't quite give an accurate portrait of the label's history (important bands like Let's Active never had a hit, so they're absent from this compilation), but it does have a good cross-section of the label's finest singles. In the process, it paints an accurate portrait of post-punk's evolution from new wave to alt-rock. Because it takes its subtitle seriously, the collection does contain a few duds -- dada's "Dizz Knee Land" happens to be the newest thing here, but it already sounds more dated than Wall of Voodoo's "Mexican Radio" -- but the best moments -- the Go-Go's' "Our Lips Are Sealed," Timbuk 3's "The Future's So Bright, I Gotta Wear Shades," Fine Young Cannibals' "She Drives Me Crazy," General Public's "Tenderness," R.E.M.'s "The One I Love" and the English Beat's perfect "Save It For Later" -- illustrate what a great label IRS was, which is reason enough to hear this collection. ~ Stephen Thomas Erlewine
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 4 ratings.
Based on 4 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 39,591
- UPC: 724381983324
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
Walking in the Sunshine: The Best of Bad Manners (2-CD)(6)
$15.38 Super Savings
Best of Chicago Garage Bands - The Quill Records Story (CD)(14)
99¢ on SALE
WCBS FM101.1 - Motown, Soul & Great Rock 'N Roll: Rock 'N... (CD)(5)
$4.98 on SALE
Top ranking CD:
- King Curtis Enjoy Records - The Best of King Curtis (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Dion Deja Nu (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Best of Doo Wop, Volume 5 (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Johnny Cash Original Golden Hits, Volumes 1 & 2 (CD) ~ $6.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Ultimate Jukebox Hits of the 70s, Volume 4 & 5 (2-CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE