Hurry! Only 2 copies left Sorry no back-orders
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
sku: GG 950
- Released: May 25, 2009
- Originally Released: 2009
- Label: Soul Brother
- 1.Hello Sunday! Hello Road!
- 2.Song of the Wind
- 3.Racetrack in France
- 4.Vild (Deaf, Dumb and Blind)
- 5.Under the Hammer
- 6.We Almost Lost Detroit
- 7.Tuskeegee #626
- 8.Delta Man (Where I'm Comin' From)
- 9.95 South (All of the Places We've Been)
Personnel: Gil Scott-Heron (guitar, piano); Fred Payne, Marlo Henderson (guitar); Brian Jackson (flute, keyboards); Bilal Sunni Ali (saxophone); Delbert Tailor (trumpet); Reggie Brubane, Joe Blocker (drums); Tony Duncanson, Barnett Williams (percussion).
Arranger: Larry Fallon.
Gil Scott-Heron, Brian Jackson, and the Midnight Band take a slightly different approach with their 1977 effort, Bridges. With less of the gaping and world-infused sound prevalent on previous albums, the songs are more concise and Scott-Heron comes into his own as a singer depending less on his spoken word vocal style. The excellent songwriting exposes Scott-Heron at the height of his powers as a literary artist. The social, political, cultural, and historical themes are presented in a tight funk meets jazz meets blues meets rock sound that is buoyed by Jackson's characteristic keyboard playing and the Midnight Band's colorful arrangements. Scott-Heron's ability to make the personal universal is evident from the opening track, "Hello Sunday! Hello Road!," all the way through to the gorgeous "95 South (All of the Places We've Been)." The most popular cut on the album, "We Almost Lost Detroit," which shares its title with the John G. Fuller book published in 1975, recounts the story of the nuclear meltdown at the Fermi Atomic Power Plant near Monroe, MI, in 1966. This song was also contributed to the No Nukes concert and album in 1980. Along with the two records that would follow in the late 70s, Bridges stands as one of Scott-Heron's most enjoyable and durable albums. ~ Jeff Schwachter
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 15 ratings.
Based on 15 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Bohemia After Dark (24-Bit with Bonus Tracks) (CD)
$10.33 Super Savings
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock (10-CD Set) ~ $19.98 on SALE
- Various Artists KFRC 99.7FM - Motown, Soul & Rock 'N Roll: Rock 'N Roll (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists WJMK 104.3 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 60s (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Summer Fun: 43-Song Collection (3-CD) ~ $8.98 on SALE