- Released: June 8, 1999
- Originally Released: 1999
- Label: EMI Special Products
- 1.Hello Walls
- 3.Funny How Time Slips Away
- 4.Touch Me
- 5.You Took My Happy Away (Single Version)
- 6.Why Are You Picking On Me (Previously Unreleased)
- 7.Columbus Stockade Blues (Version 1)
- 8.Good Hearted Woman (Live)
- 9.Blues Eyes Crying In The Rain
- 10.Ain't Life Hell
- 11.My Heros Have Always Been Cowboys
- 12.Angel Flying Too Close To The Ground (Live)
- 13.Healing Hands Of Time
- 14.The Devil's Right Hand )
A&E BIOGRAPHY: A MUSICAL ANTHOLOGY is an Enhanced CD containing a full audio program as well as multimedia computer files.
Includes liner notes by Rich Keinzle.
Like Roy Rogers and a few other stars of A&E's popular Biography series, Willie Nelson had a retrospective CD released to coincide with the airing of his program. The disc more than stands up on its own, however, as it covers every stage of Nelson's long career with sterling choices and excellent liner notes. Opening with his hits as a Nashville songsmith, like "Hello Walls" and "Crazy," the disc continues through his early '70s reinvention as a pioneer of "outlaw" country, a hell-raising yet deeply traditional form that reached its pinnacle with his classic RED HEADED STRANGER album and its perfect single, a cover of the standard "Blue Eyes Crying in the Rain." The closing tunes, including "My Heroes Have Always Been Cowboys" and a track by the supergroup the Highwaymen, are a bit slicker but no less heartfelt. As intended, this is an excellent single-disc introduction.