The Beatles Anthology (2-CD)
Only 6 copies left
|SUPER SAVINGS:||$31.64 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$4.32 (12% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- by The Beatles ~ Anthology 2 (2-CD) ~ $31.64
- by The Beatles ~ Anthology 3 (2-CD) ~ $31.64
- by The Beatles ~ In the Beginning ~ $9.89
- by The Beatles ~ Let It Be [Let It Be... Naked] (2-CD) ~ $16.58
- by The Beatles ~ Live at the BBC, the Collection: Volumes 1-2 (4-CD) ~ $44.06
Products with a similar style:
- Number of Discs: 2
- Released: November 21, 1995
- Originally Released: 1995
- Label: Capitol
Musician - 3/96, p.88"...The Beatles were clearly collective genius. Together they created a whole vastly greater than the sum of their parts....The fun of ANTHOLOGY 1 comes in watching their genius develop..."
NME (Magazine) - 12/2/95, p.45"...'Free As A Bird'...[is] really quite good...a lilting, innocently wistful, melancholy beauty of a tune that makes you feel just about ready to surrender any misgivings about the nature of its creation..."
Tracks on Disc 1:
- 1.Free As A Bird
- 2.Speech: John Lennon
- 3.That'll Be The Day - (The Quarry Men, Mono)
- 4.In Spite Of All The Danger - (The Quarry Men, Mono)
- 5.Speech: Paul Mccartney
- 6.Hallelujah, I Love Her So - (Mono)
- 7.You'll Be Mine - (Mono)
- 8.Cayenne - (Mono)
- 9.My Bonnie
- 10.My Bonnie
- 11.Ain't She Sweet
- 12.Cry For A Shadow
- 13.Speech: John
- 14.Speech: Brian Epstein
- 15.Searchin' - (Mono)
- 16.Three Cool Cats - (Mono)
- 17.Sheik Of Araby, The - (Mono)
- 18.Like Dreamers Do - (Mono)
- 19.Hello Little Girl - (Mono)
- 20.Speech: Brian Epstein
- 21.Besame Mucho - (Mono)
- 22.LOVE ME DO - (ALTERNATE VERSION, W / PETE BEST, MONO)
- 23.How Do You Do It - (Mono)
- 24.Please Please Me - (Early Version, Mono)
- 25.One After 909 - (False Starts, Mono)
- 26.One After 909 - (1963 Version, Mono)
- 27.Lend Me Your Comb - (Mono)
- 28.I'll Get You - (Live, Mono)
- 29.Speech: John
- 30.I Saw Her Standing There - (Live, Mono)
- 31.From Me To You - (Live, Mono)
- 32.Money (That's What I Want) - (Live, Mono)
- 33.You Really Got A Hold On Me - (Live, Mono)
- 34.Roll Over Beethoven - (Live, Mono)
Tracks on Disc 2:
- 1.She Loves You - (Live, Mono)
- 2.Till There Was You - (Live, Mono)
- 3.Twist And Shout - (Live, Mono)
- 4.This Boy
- 5.I Want To Hold Your Hand
- 6.Speech: Eric Morecambe And Ernie Wise
- 7.Moonlight Bay
- 8.Can't Buy Me Love - (Alternate Take)
- 9.All My Loving - (Live)
- 10.You Can't Do That - (Alternate Take)
- 11.And I Love Her - (Alternate Version)
- 12.A Hard Day's Night - (Alternate Take)
- 13.I Wanna Be Your Man
- 14.Long Tall Sally
- 17.I'll Be Back - (Demo)
- 18.I'll Be Back - (Alternate Take)
- 19.You Know What To Do - (Demo)
- 20.No Reply - (Demo)
- 21.Mr. Moonlight - (Alternate Version)
- 22.Leave My Kitten Alone
- 23.No Reply - (Alternate Take)
- 24.Eight Days A Week - (False Starts)
- 25.Eight Days A Week - (Alternate Take)
- 26.Kansas City - (Alternate Take) / Hey-Hey-Hey-Hey! - (Alternate Take)
THE BEATLES ANTHOLOGY is a collection of rare and unreleased Beatles recordings; a companion book and 10-hour video are also planned. Among the material on the first volume are recordings by The Quarry Men (a band that featured a teen-aged John Lennon, Paul McCartney and George Harrison); five songs from the Beatles' unsuccessful audition for Decca Records on January 1, 1962; live tracks from various television appearances; and alternate versions of several early Beatles songs.
THE BEATLES ANTHOLOGY: 1 also includes "Free As A Bird," the band's first new recording in 25 years. Written by the late John Lennon, the song was recorded in 1994 by the three surviving Beatles, using Lennon's lead vocal and piano track from a demo recorded in the late 1970s.
The Beatles: John Lennon (vocals, guitar, harmonica, piano); Paul McCartney (vocals, guitar, piano, bass); George Harrison (vocals, guitar, 12-string guitar, slide guitar); Ringo Starr (vocals, drums); Stuart Sutcliffe (guitar); Pete Best (drums).
The Quarry Men: John Lennon, Paul McCartney (vocals, guitar); George Harrison (guitar); John Lowe (piano); Colin Hanton (drums).
Additional personnel includes: Tony Sheridan (vocals, guitar); Brian Epstein, Eric Morecambe, Ernie Wise (spoken vocals); Andy White (drums).
Producers: John Lennon, Paul McCartney, George Harrison, Richard Starkey, Jeff Lynne (disc 1, track 1); Bert Kaempfert (disc 1, tracks 10-12); George Martin (disc 1, tracks 14, 20-26; disc 2, tracks 8, 10-12, 17-26); Mike Smith (disc 1, tracks 15-19); Terry Henebery (disc 1, track 27); Klas Burling (disc 1, tracks 30-34); Jack Good (disc 2, tracks 13-16).
Compilation producer: George Martin.
Engineers: Geoff Emerick (disc 1, track 1); Percy F. Phillips (disc 1, tracks 3-4); Karl Hinze (disc 1, tracks 10-12); Stuart Eltham (disc 1, tracks 14, 20); Norman Smith (disc 1, tracks 21-26; disc 2, tracks 8, 10-12, 17-26); Hans Westman (disc 1, tracks 30-34); Terry Johnson (disc 2, tracks 13-16).
Principally recorded between 1958 and 1964. "Free As A Bird" recorded circa 1977 and in 1994. Spoken tracks recorded between 1962 and 1994. Includes a 48-page booklet with track-by-track annotations, and liner notes by Derek Taylor.
"Free As A Bird" won a 1997 Grammy Award for Best Pop Performance By A Duo Or Group With Vocal.
Personnel: John Lennon, George Harrison (vocals, guitar); Paul McCartney (vocals); Pete Best, Ringo Starr (drums).
Audio Remixer: Geoff Emerick.
Liner Note Author: Derek Taylor.
Recording information: ATV Studios, Borehamwood (??/1958-11/1994); BBC Studios, Maida Vale, London, England (??/1958-11/1994); Decca Studios, West Hampstead, London, England (??/1958-11/1994); EMI Abbey Road Studios, London, England (??/1958-11/1994); Friedrich Ebert Hall, Hamburg, Germany (??/1958-11/1994); Hulme Hall, Port Sunligh (??/1958-11/1994); Karlaplansstudion, Stockholm, Sweden (??/1958-11/1994); London Palladium, London, England (??/1958-11/1994); New York, NY (??/1958-11/1994); Pathe Marconi Studios, Paris, France (??/1958-11/1994); Phillips Sound Recording Service, Liverpool (??/1958-11/1994); Prince Of Wales Theatre, London, England (??/1958-11/1994); Sussex, England (??/1958-11/1994).
Director: George Martin.
Though the Beatles changed rock & roll forever from low culture to high art, they started as a skiffle group, a British amalgam of American rock & roll influences--Elvis' swagger, Little Richard's unholy gospel, the Everly Brothers' country-rock harmonies, Smokey Robinson's sensual soul. THE BEATLES ANTHOLOGY: 1 traces these roots, tapping a rich motherlode of unreleased early Beatles material. There are scratchy recordings of the Quarry Men (Lennon, McCartney, and Harrison, circa 1958) and pre-Ringo Beatles practice sessions that show the Fabs dreaming of being Elvis and Buddy Holly. Amazingly well-preserved tracks from the early '60s show them starting to let their hair down, while rocking merrily through such pop standards of the time as "Ain't She Sweet" and "Besame Mucho." They were an electrifying live band, and among the treasures here are Ringo tearing through "I Wanna Be Your Man" and "Boys" at a 1964 TV taping, and John ripping into "Twist And Shout" at the band's 1963 Royal Command Performance after his famous request: "Will the people in the cheaper seats clap your hands, and the rest of you, if you'll just rattle your jewelry."
Equally compelling is the one "new" track. "Free As A Bird" was the pop event of 1995, a Lennon demo completed by the surviving Beatles with the production guidance of Beatles disciple Jeff Lynne. With a deliberate, mid-tempo pace, doubled piano, slide guitar solo, and signature harmonies and middle eight, it's vintage 1968. Colorize the video, add some psychedelic film effects, drop it into the middle of the MAGICAL MYSTERY TOUR movie, and see who notices.
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 119 ratings.
Based on 119 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Top Hits of the 70s - Absolute Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - JukeBox Giants, Volume 3 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - JukeBox Giants, Volume 2 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Enchantment Golden Classics, Featuring "Gloria" (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Country Top Hits of the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s (4-CD) ~ $19.98 on SALE