Tom King & The Starfires Roots of The Outsiders
|You Save:||$9.99 (77% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: March 14, 2006
- Originally Released: 1996
- Label: Collectables Records
Description by OLDIES.com:
This is a real treat for fans of The Outsiders (of "Time Won't Let Me" fame). Documents the early efforts by founder Tom King. Includes songs used on Cleveland's famous "Ghoulardi" TV show.
- 1.Please Don't Leave Me
- 2.I Love You Cause I Love You
- 3.Ring Of Love
- 4.The Cheating Game
- 5.Stronger Then Dirt
- 6.Honest Injun
- 7.Jam Session #1
- 8.Honky Tonk
- 9.Night Walk
- 10.Billy's Blues
- 11.Chartreuse Caboose
- 12.Jam Session #2
- 13.Sweet Georgia Brown
- 14.Barbara GeorgeI Know
Tom King & The Starfires: Tom King (vocals, guitar); Walt Nims (guitar, background vocals); Dennis Slifko (saxophone); Mert Madsen (electric upright bass, background vocals); Howard Blank, Jimmy Fox (drums).
Includes liner notes by Mark Speck & Jim Fox.
Personnel: Tom King (vocals); Mert Madsen (vocals, upright bass); Walter Nims (guitar, background vocals); Jimmy Fox (drums).
Liner Note Author: Jimmy Fox.
A not-bad 14-track assembly of the Cleveland-based group's better sides, unfortunately made from less-than-ideal sources but nicely cleaned up. The ballads veer a little toward the sappy side of Ricky Nelson material of the same era, but the instrumentals are fairly hot, with a pleasing "dirty" sound, similar to Paul Revere & the Raiders' early material, with occasional elements of Duane Eddy-style guitar flash from lead guitarist Walter Nims. The Starfires were one of the top bar bands in Cleveland at the time, only lacking for a stronger, more charismatic lead singer and some better original material -- when they got both, in the guise of Sonny Geraci's pipes and "Time Won't Let Me," they easily made the leap to a national audience as the Outsiders, but there's nothing embarrassing about these early efforts by Tom King and some of the same musicians. None of it is essential, except maybe to Outsiders or James Gang fans (their future founder is playing drums in places here, and this music was Jimmy Fox's introduction to rock & roll), but it's all fun and worth hearing even 40 years later. There are no recording dates, alas, and no precise credits about which members played on which sides. ~ Bruce Eder
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 4 ratings.
Based on 4 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 13,362
- UPC: 090431069523
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
Rock & Pop: Psychedelic Music Categories:
- ? and The Mysterians The Best of ? And The Mysterians (Cameo Parkway) (CD) ~ $11.65 LABOR DAY
- 13th Floor Elevators The Albums Collection (All Four Original International Artists Albums Remastered) (4-CD) ~ $24.28
- 13th Floor Elevators Bull Of The Woods (Snapper UK) (2-CD) ~ $16.79
- 13th Floor Elevators Easter Everywhere (2-CD) ~ $16.18
- 13th Floor Elevators Live Evolution Lost (CD) ~ $15.08 LABOR DAY
- 38 Special Extended Versions (Live) (CD) ~ $4.99 on SALE
- 45 RPM "Doo Wop & Acappella" Starlight Sessions (CD) ~ $5.52 LABOR DAY
- 49th Street 49th Street (CD) ~ $5.52 LABOR DAY
- The 5th Dimension Up Up and Away - The Encore Collection (CD) ~ $5.07 LABOR DAY
- Gregory Abbott Rhyme & Reason (CD) ~ $5.07 LABOR DAY