Singing Through the Hard Times: A Utah Phillips Celebration (2-CD)
by Various Artists
LOW STOCK: Only 2 copies left
|You Save:||$1.60 (10% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Number of Discs: 2
- Released: February 24, 2009
- Originally Released: 2009
- Label: Righteous Babe
Dirty Linen - p.52"Performances by lesser known artists, including Larry Penn, Rik Palieri, Saul Broudy, and Mark Ross demonstrate that, like the best folk tunes, it's the songs, and not the artists, that make this album shine."
Tracks on Disc 1:
- 1.Singing Through the Hard Times - Dan Schatz / Magpie / Marcy Marxer / Emma's Revolution / Cathy Fink
- 2.Going Away - Cindy Kallet / Will Brown / Grey Larsen
- 3.Green Rolling Hills of West Virginia - Emmylou Harris / Mary Black
- 4.Dump the Bosses off Your Back - Si Kahn
- 5.All Used Up - John McCutcheon
- 6.Starlight on the Rails - Saul Broudy
- 7.All About Preachers - Lisa Null
- 8.She'll Never Be Mine - Jack Stanesco / Harry Tuft
- 9.Popular Wobbly, The - Larry Penn
- 10.Room for the Poor - Marcy Marxer / Cathy Fink
- 11.Reuben's Train - Rhonda and Sparky Rucker / Sparky
- 12.Paddy Welcome Back - Fast Rattler
- 13.Michael - Magpie
- 14.Telling Takes Me Home, The - Ed Trickett
- 15.Phoebe Snow - Captain Kendall Morse
- 16.If I Could Be the Rain - Faith Petric
- 17.Queen of the Rails - Dan Schatz
- 18.Kid's Liberation - Judy Cook
- 19.Or Else! (One-A These Days) - Pete Seeger
Tracks on Disc 2:
- 1.Goodnight Loving Trail - Gordon Bok
- 2.Soldier's Return, The - Rosalie Sorrels
- 3.I Remember Loving You - Tom Paxton
- 4.Jesse's Corrido - Elizabeth Laprelle
- 5.Hood River, Roll On - Bruce Brackney
- 6.Old Buddy, Goodnight - Bodie Wagner / Dakota Dave Hull / Pop Wagner
- 7.Hallelujah! I'm a Bum - Mick Lane
- 8.Internationale, The - Ani DiFranco
- 9.Faded Roses of December, The - Kat Logan
- 10.Daddy, What's a Train? - Jay Peterson
- 11.Bill McCarran - Ray Bierl
- 12.He Comes Like Rain - Finest Kind
- 13.Look for Me in Butte - Mark Ross
- 14.Miner's Lullaby, The - Jacqui Morse
- 15.Larimer Street - Rik Palieri
- 16.Old George's Square - Jean Ritchie
- 17.Rock Salt and Nails - Taylor Whiteside
- 18.Hobo's Last Ride, The - Art Thieme
- 19.Singing in the Country - Caroline Paton
- 20.Hymn Song - Emma's Revolution
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Tributee: Utah Phillips.
Personnel: Cathy Fink (vocals, guitar, banjo); Dan Schatz (vocals, guitar, autoharp); Taylor Whiteside (vocals, guitar, fiddle, accordion); Saul Broudy (vocals, guitar, harmonica); Cindy Kallet, Jay Peterson, James "Sparky" Rucker, Ray Bierl, Ed Trickett, Emmylou Harris, Will Brown , Mick Lane, Mark Ross, Harry Tuft, Bruce Brackney, Larry Penn, Pat Humphries, Rosalie Sorrels, Art Thieme, Tom Paxton, Pop Wagner, Greg Artzner, Captain Kendall Morse (vocals, guitar); Gordon Bok (vocals, 12-string guitar); Rhonda Hicks Rucker, Pete Seeger , Rik Palieri (vocals, banjo); Ian Robb (vocals, concertina); Jacqui Morse, Bodie Wagner, Judy Cook, Julia Friend, Sandy O, Lisa Null, Ann Downey, Faith Petric, Shelley Posen, Caroline Paton, Dick Swain, Flawn Williams, Joe Hickerson, Jean Ritchie, Mary Black, Terry Leonino (vocals); Davy Spillane (whistling); Dakota Dave Hull (guitar, baritone guitar); Jack Stanesco (guitar, banjo); Peter Kessler, Marcy Marxer (guitar, mandolin); Tom Rowe, Ani DiFranco (guitar); David Bernz (12-string guitar); James McVay (lap steel guitar); Don Campbell (banjo); Russell Gores (mandolin, spoons); Lew London (mandolin); Bruce Boege (ukulele); Greg Boardman (violin); Allegra Ziffle, James Stephens, Grey Larsen, Jay Ungar, Aly Bain (fiddle); Chris Muse (harmonica); Julie Wolf (accordion); Jason Mercer (upright bass); Daren Hahn (drums); Jim Sutherland (percussion).
Audio Mixer: Charlie Pilzer.
Recording information: Arabica Studio, Minneapolis, MN; Bias Recording Company, Springfield, VA; Community Music, Kensington, MD; Eastwood Studio, Cana, VA; Flying Whale Studio, Cedar Ridge, CA; Ivy Creek Studios, Hickory, NC; Limin' Music, Northport, ME; Nevessa Production, Woodstock, NY; Pelicula Films, Ltd., Glasgow, Scotland; Surround In Sound Studio, Wauwatosa, WI; TellTale Studios, Portland, OR.
Authors: Mike Quirke; Thomas Wolfe ; Joe Louis Hill; Utah Phillips.
Photographer: Susan Alzner.
Unknown Contributor Roles: Judith Simpson; Carol Rohl; Bob Richardson; John Pineince; Jamie Huntsberger; Amy Fradon; Bill Huntington.
Arrangers: James "Sparky" Rucker; Ani DiFranco.
Issued in early 2009 on Ani DiFranco's Righteous Babe label, SINGING THROUGH THE HARD TIMES celebrates the life and music of beloved folk singer Utah Phillips. DiFranco, who championed Phillips late in his career and recorded with him, contributes "The Internationale (Instrumental)" to the two-disc collection, while Emmylou Harris and Mary Black team up for a stirring version of "Green Rolling Hills of West Virginia" and folk icon Pete Seeger performs "Or Else! (One-a These Days)."
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 10 ratings.
Based on 10 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Country Top Hits of the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s (4-CD)(5)
$19.98 on SALE
Ultimate Rock & Roll Time Capsule, Volume 3 - Disc 2 (CD)(3)
99¢ on SALE
WCBS FM101.1 - Motown, Soul & Great Rock 'N Roll: Soul (CD)(2)
$2.98 on SALE