The Band Rock of Ages (2-CD)
|You Save:||$1.80 (10% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Number of Discs: 2
- Released: May 7, 2001
- Originally Released: 2001
- Label: Capitol
Entertainment Weekly - 5/25/01, p.81"...Among the extras for diehards to gorge on: a CD's worth of unreleased live outtakes from 1972's ROCK OF AGES, including 4 songs with Bob Dylan." - Rating: A
Q - 7/01, p.1304 stars out of 5 - "...Slicker and more contemporary [than previous releases]...a farewell to their heyday, bolstered by a superbly haphazard cover of 'Lovin' You Is Sweeter Than Ever'..."
Down Beat - 10/01, p.664.5 stars out of 5 - "...They put across their best songs and a few covers with touches of ecstasy..."
Mojo (Publisher) - 6/01, p.123"...A radically restructred live album, their past glories terrifically enhanced by the presence of Allen Toussaint's crack horn section...Now with an additional 10 tracks, the entire concert is presented as it was..."
Tracks on Disc 1:
- 2.Don't Do It
- 3.King Harvest (Has Surely Come)
- 4.Caledonia Mission
- 5.Get Up Jake
- 6.W. S. Walcott Medicine Show
- 7.Stage Fright
- 8.Night They Drove Old Dixie Down
- 9.Across The Great Divide
- 10.This Wheel's On Fire
- 11.Rag Mama Rag
- 12.The Weight
- 13.Shape I'm In
- 14.Unfaithful Servant
- 15.Life Is A Carnival
- 16.The Genetic Method
- 17.Chest Fever
- 18.Hang Up My Rock And Roll Shoes (I Don't Want To)
Tracks on Disc 2:
- 1.Loving You Is Sweeter Than Ever
- 2.I Shall Be Released
- 3.Up On Cripple Creek
- 4.The Rumor
- 5.Rockin' Chair
- 6.Time To Kill
- 7.Down In The Flood
- 8.When I Paint My Masterpiece
- 9.Don't Ya Tell Henry
- 10.Like A Rolling Stone
The Band: Robbie Robertson (vocals, guitar); Richard Manuel (vocals, piano); Rick Danko (vocals, bass instrument); Levon Helm (vocals, drums); Garth Hudson (tenor saxophone, organ).
Personnel: J.D. Parron (e flat clarinet, alto saxophone); Garth Hudson (soprano saxophone, alto saxophone); Snooky Young (trumpet, flugelhorn); Earl McIntyre (trombone).
Additional personnel: Bob Dylan (vocals); J.D. Parran (clarinet, alto saxophone); Joe Farrell (English horn, soprano saxophone, tenor saxophone); Howard Johnson (baritone saxophone); Earl McIntyre, Snooky Young.
Audio Remixer: Dan Gellert.
Liner Note Authors: Greil Marcus; Rob Bowman.
Recording information: Academy Of Music, New York, NY.
Photographers: Fred Lombardi; Ernst Haas.
Long before they became The Band, these four Canadians and one southern rebel rocked the rooftops off Canada as The Hawks, Ronnie Hawkins's fierce back-up band. Their non-stop performing took them through nearly every bar in the region, and the group developed into a tightly wound rock unit. It is therefore interesting that, as The Band, the group was known more for its reluctance in the live arena than for its live prowess. This was in part due to leader Robbie Robertson's stage jitters, which seemed to worsen as The Band's status swelled. ROCK OF AGES provides a telling account of what glorious heights The Band was capable of when it tore loose onstage.
Here the five members function as one shifting, interlocking force, summoning Americana, phantom soul, and barroom rockers with ease and freedom. Garth Hudson conjures pure organ voodoo with an impromptu instrumental, "The Genetic Method," before the band launches into the otherworldly "Chest Fever." Elsewhere the live document percolates with similarly inspired fervor. New Orleanian Allen Touissant must receive his share of the credit, as his horn arrangements pump and drive The Band's earth-drenched rock up from the dirt and into the stratosphere.
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 96 ratings.
Based on 96 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Top ranking titles in the Pop / Rock genre:
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock (10-CD Set) ~ $19.98 on SALE
- Various Artists KFRC 99.7FM - Motown, Soul & Rock 'N Roll: Rock 'N Roll (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Summer Hits: 47-Song Collection (3-CD) ~ $8.98 on SALE
- Yes Acoustic: Guaranteed No Hiss (DVD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
Top ranking CD:
- Burl Ives The Best of Little Bitty Tear (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Johnny Cash Original Golden Hits, Volumes 1 & 2 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - JukeBox Giants, Volume 1 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Country Top Hits of the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s (4-CD) ~ $19.98 on SALE
Jan & Dean Greatest Hits (CD) ~
$5.35 Super Savings