The Adventures of Robin Hood (2-DVD Special Edition)
Warner Bros. DVD Clearance Sale (series)
|You Save:||$14.01 (52% Off)|
- All-New 65th Anniversary Digital Transfer from Restored Picture and Audio Elements
- Revealing Documentaries on the Movie's Making and the Technicolor Process
- Leonard Maltin Hosts Warner Night at the Movies 1938 Robin Hood Through the Ages Featurette
- Home Movies
- Languages and Subtitles in English, French & Spanish
- Number of Discs: 2
- Rated: Not Rated
- Closed captioning available
- Run Time: 1 hours, 42 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: September 30, 2003
- Originally Released: 1938
- Label: Warner Home Video
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Snap Case
- Special Edition
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
- Mono - English, French, Spanish
Performers, Cast and Crew:
|Starring||Olivia de Havilland & Errol Flynn|
|Performer:||Basil Rathbone, Claude Rains, Patric Knowles & Una O'Connor|
|Directed by||Michael Curtiz & William Keighley|
|Edited by||Ralph Dawson|
|Screenwriting by||Norman Reilly Raine & Seton I. Miller|
|Composition by||Erich Wolfgang Korngold|
|Produced by||Henry Blanke|
|Director of Photography:||Sol Polito & Tony Gaudio|
"...A treat for the eye and ear....An action-packed romantic take on the old legend..."
"...Visually, screen reds were never redder nor greens greener, and this was the screen adventure for the era..."
"[T]he dialogue is delectable Hollywood fustian at is best; the period Technicolor glows like a jewel..."
"[O]ut of all the embodiments of derring-do played by Flynn, his nobelman-turned-defender-of-the-poor-and-oppressed is the most purely joyous."
"[A] Technicolor swashbuckler."
Description by OLDIES.com:
Flynn joyously embraces the role widely considered the best of his bountiful array of swashbuckling legends. Delivering his lines and performing dashing acrobatics (he did most of his own stunts) with breezy élan, he darts across the intricate sets of THE ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD as if there are rocket boosters secreted in his tights. It was one of the earliest films to use three-color Technicolor and, at the time, the most expensive film Warner Bros. had produced. Erich Wolfgang Korngold's outstanding score won an Oscar, as did the art direction and the editing.
- THE ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD was added to the Library of Congress National Film Registry in 1995.
- One of the earliest films to use three-color Technicolor and, at the time, the most expensive film Warner Bros. had produced ($2 million).
- William Keighley started directing the film, but Curtiz finished the filming. According to Variety, Curtiz took the helm because Keighley became ill but, according to Halliwell, Curtiz became director because "it was felt that the action lacked impact."
- The film is based on, according to the credits, "ancient Robin Hood legends."
Movie Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 351 ratings.
Many "Robin Hood" films have been made but this one is the one they all got their ideas from. Errol Flynn really enjoys himself in this role. Great cast, good color and the perfect script. If you haven't seen this one or if you are a collector, this is a must have. Adventure, action, love and laughs - this film has it all.
- Sales Rank: 7,887
- UPC: 012569513129
- Shipping Weight: 0.40/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 2 items
Action / Adventure Movie Categories:
10 Dead Men (DVD) ~
$19.52 Super Savings
- 10 Violent Women (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
10,000 B.C. (DVD) ~
$5.21 Super Savings
10,000 B.C. (Blu-ray) ~
$8.34 Super Savings
12 Monkeys / Mercury Rising / The Jackal (3-DVD) ~
$16.63 Super Savings
Top ranking titles in the Action & Adventure genre:
- Sons of Kong: 10 Full-Length Movies on 3-DVDs (3D Pop-Up Case) ~ $1.98 on SALE
- Chuck Norris - 3 Pack Action: The Delta Force / Delta Force 2 / Code of Silence (DVD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Burt Reynolds Comedy Triple Feature: Gator / Breaking In / Fuzz (2-DVD) ~ $1.98 on SALE
- Bigfoot (Blu-ray) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- American Warships (Blu-ray) ~ 99¢ on SALE
© 2016 OLDIES.com and its affiliates and partner companies. All rights reserved.