Johnny Rivers Live At The Whisky A Go Go
LOW STOCK: Only 2 copies left
|LABOR DAY SALE:||$14.85 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$2.13 (13% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- by Johnny Rivers ~ Rewind / Realization ~ $17.99
Products with a similar style:
- Atlanta Rhythm Section The Best of Atlanta Rhythm Section (CD) ~ $5.07
- Atlanta Rhythm Section Champagne Jam (CD) ~ $5.97
- Brewer & Shipley One Toke Over The Line: The Best of Brewer & Shipley (CD) ~ $5.97 (Save 25%)
- Released: May 23, 1995
- Originally Released: 1995
- Label: Capitol
Q - 9/95, p.1383 Stars - Good - "...Rivers proved himself to be one of American pop's smartest operators, clocking up a couple of dozen hits from the mid-'60s onwards, while barely breaking a sweat...[TOTALLY LIVE] capture[s] the time and place to perfection..."
- 2.It Wouldn't Happen With Me
- 3.Oh Lonesome Me
- 4.Lawdy Miss Clawdy
- 5.Whisky A Go-Go
- 6.Walkin' The Dog
- 7.Brown Eyed Handsome Man
- 8.You Can Have Her (I Don't Want Her)
- 10.La Bamba / Twist And Shout
- 12.Dang Me
- 13.Hello Josephine
- 14.Hi-Heel Sneakers
- 15.Can't Buy Me Love
- 16.I Got A Woman
- 17.Baby What You Want Me To Do
- 18.Midnight Special
- 19.Roll Over Beethoven
- 20.Walk Myself On Home
- 21.Johnny B. Goode
- 22.Whole Lotta Shakin' Going On
Personnel: Johnny Rivers (vocals, guitar); Joe Osborn (bass); Eddie Rubin (drums).
Producer: Lou Adler.
Compilation producer: Dan Loggins.
Recorded live at The Whiskey A Go-Go, Los Angeles, California between April & July 1964. Originally released on Imperial (LP 9264) & (LP 9274). Includes liner notes by Mugsy.
Digitally remastered by Kevin Reeves (Tower Mastering, Hollywood, California).
The "totally live" appellation is a bit of a reach (translation: there are obvious after-the-fact overdubs), but nevertheless this is a pretty faithful representation of what a good mid-'60s rock & roll club band sounded like. Rivers was (and remains) a flexible, expressive singer, equally at home covering R&B, rockabilly, country, and the Beatles, and as a guitarist, while no virtuoso, he was occasionally capable of the sort of stinging, bluesman's attack associated with original '60s axe heroes like Lonnie Mack (as on the hit version here of Chuck Berry's "Memphis"). In retrospect, this is all a bit shagadelic, but it's fun nonetheless.
Hullabaloo - The Best of Hullabaloo, Collection 1 (DVD)
$12.84 LABOR DAY
Summer Rain: The Essential Rivers (1964-1975) (CD)
Out of StockSave for Later
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 8 ratings.
Based on 8 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Sounds of The Fabulous Fifties (Limited Distribution) (3-CD...
$8.48 LABOR DAY
WCBS FM101.1 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 70s (CD)
$2.98 on SALE
Top ranking CD:
- Johnny Cash Original Golden Hits, Volumes 1 & 2 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Pat Benatar The Best of Volume 1 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Soft Rock 70'S (CD) ~ $5.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock (10-CD Set) ~ $19.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - JukeBox Giants, Volume 2 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE