The Band The Band
Only 4 copies left
|CYBER WEEK SALE:||$11.68 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$1.30 (10% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: August 29, 2000
- Originally Released: 2000
- Label: Capitol
Rolling Stone - 12/11/03, p.110Ranked #45 in Rolling Stone's "500 Greatest Albums Of All Time" - "...Robertson's stories truly come to life in Helm's man-of-the-soil growl, Rick Danko's high tenor and Richard Manuel's spectral croon..."
Rolling Stone - 10/18/69, p.44"...The hymn-like quality of the voicings, the use of counter-point and contrapuntal rhythms by the singers, the weaving of voices in and out into a pattern that grows each time you hear it, are the things that make the sound of this music so compelling..."
Rolling Stone - 2/3/00, p.615 stars out of 5 - "...a sound that had a strange glamour and a seductive abstraction....THE BAND was where the group filled in the map....The people were flesh and blood...and they gathered to talk and brag about what mattered to them....The songs were uproarious, full of outrageous double-entendres..."
Entertainment Weekly - 9/1/00, p.81"...[One] of the best albums in rock history....These remasterings sound incredibly rich, and each has alternate takes....this is reissuing done right." - Rating: A
Q - 10/00, p.1395 stars out of 5 - "...Even stronger [than their debut, MUSIC FROM BIG PINK] with [Robbie] Robertson's elegiac songsmithery...in full bloom..."
Down Beat - 10/01, p.664 stars out of 5 - "...This has the authority and radiance of beaten gold..."
No Depression - 9-10/00, pp.102-3"...An undeniable classic of North American roots music, exploring folk, gospel, country, rhythm & blues, soul, funk, and rock & roll..."
Mojo (Publisher) - 10/00, p.126"...Their masterpiece, with its myth-creating sepia sleeve photograph and its astonishing breadth of resource and reference..."
- 1.Across The Great Divide
- 2.Rag Mama Rag
- 3.The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down
- 4.When You Awake
- 5.Up On Cripple Creek
- 6.Whispering Pines
- 7.Jemima Surrender
- 8.Rockin' Chair
- 9.Look Out Cleveland
- 11.The Unfaithful Servant
- 12.King Harvest (Has Surely Come)
- 13.Get Up Jake
- 14.Rag Mama Rag
- 15.The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down
- 16.Up On Cripple Creek
- 17.Whispering Pines
- 18.Jemima Surrender
- 19.King Harvest (Has Surely Come)
The Band: Levon Helm (vocals, guitar, mandolin, drums); Robbie Robertson (vocals, guitar); Rick Danko (vocals, violin, trombone, bass); Richard Manuel (vocals, harmonica, baritone saxophone, piano, drums); Garth Hudson (accordion, soprano, tenor & baritone saxophones, trumpet, piano, organ, Clavinet).
Additional personnel: John Simon (tuba, horns, electric piano).
Producers: The Band, John Simon.
Reissue producers: Cheryl Pawelski, Andrew Sandoval.
Engineers include: Robbie Robertson, John Simon, Joe Zagarino.
Recorded in Hollywood, California in 1969.
Includes liner notes by Barney Hoskyns.
Initially renowned as Bob Dylan's backing group, the Band emerged from the singer's shadow to proclaim a distinctive talent. Drawing upon a musical canon embracing soul, country, folk and rock 'n' roll, the quintet created a unique sound that was quintessentially American. Its rustic qualities were enhanced by principle songwriter Robbie Robertson who created vistas suggestive of a pre-industrial age, and as such, captured the restlessness of the late 60s without the need for explicit manifestos. Expressive singing, sublime melodies and telepathic musicianship instils The Band with quality, but its adult themes and perspectives ensure an absolute timelessness. An all-time critics' favourite.
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 183 ratings.
Based on 183 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Top ranking titles in the Pop / Rock genre:
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ CYBER WEEK
- Various Artists Top Hits of the 60s - Groovy Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ CYBER WEEK
- Various Artists History of Rock - The 60's, Part 1 (CD) ~ 99¢ CYBER WEEK
- Various Artists Top Hits of the 70s - Absolute Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ CYBER WEEK
- Various Artists History of Rock - JukeBox Giants, Volume 2 (CD) ~ 99¢ CYBER WEEK
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists The Best of Christmas: 25 Original Hits by the Original Artists (Disc 3) (CD) ~ 99¢ CYBER WEEK
- Johnny Cash Original Golden Hits, Volumes 1 & 2 (CD) ~ 99¢ CYBER WEEK
- The Ohio Express Golden Classics (CD) ~ 99¢ CYBER WEEK
- Johnny Cash Sings I Walk The Line / Sings Folsom Prison Blues (CD) ~ 99¢ CYBER WEEK
- Various Artists Ultimate Rock & Roll Time Capsule, Volume 2 - Disc 1 (CD) ~ 99¢ CYBER WEEK