Jimi Hendrix Band of Gypsys (Live)
LOW STOCK: Only 2 copies left
|SUPER SAVINGS:||$14.85 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$2.13 (13% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: January 13, 1998
- Originally Released: 1998
- Label: Capitol
Rolling Stone - 5/28/70, p.48"...Hendrix really gets into his guitar playing....This album is Hendrix the musician. With just bass and drum support he is able to transfuse and transfix on the strength of his guitar work alone..."
Down Beat3.5 Stars - Very Good
- 1.Who Knows
- 2.Machine Gun
- 4.Power To Love
- 5.Message To Love
- 6.We Gotta Live Together
Personnel: Jimi Hendrix (vocals, guitar); Jimi Hendrix; Buddy Miles (vocals, drums, background vocals); Billy Cox (bass instrument).
Audio Mixers: Jimi Hendrix; Eddie Kramer.
Audio Remasterers: Eddie Kramer; George Marino.
Audio Remixer: Eddie Kramer.
Liner Note Author: John McDermott .
Recording information: Fillmore East, NY, NY (12/31/1969-01/01/1970).
Photographers: Joseph Sia; Jan Blom; Robert Herman.
Following the breakup of the Experience, Hendrix took a sabbatical in Woodstock, New York, hooked up with bassist Billy Cox, his old Air Force running mate, and began jamming with a wide variety of musicians, including R&B drummer Buddy Miles. Hendrix had become self-conscious about his image as a showman and rocker, and about the limitations of thrashing through the same repertoire night after night. BAND OF GYPSYS was an attempt by Hendrix to redefine himself, and in a way heralded his return to the ethos of the blues and R&B, a return assisted by a powerhouse, groove-oriented rhythm section.
During their brief tenure as a band, Band Of Gypsys performed New Year's Eve at the Fillmore East, and this live recording captures some of Hendrix's most monumental solos, particularly his long, intensely emotional improvisation on "Machine Gun" (including the screeches of bombs and gunfire) and his pithy blues work on "Who Knows." Buddy Miles's "Them Changes" illustrates Hendrix's mastery of funk, while "Message of Love" and "Power of Soul" demonstrate his remarkable ability to provide a simultaneous rhythm accompaniment and melodic counterpoint to his vocals, in the blues tradition of Robert Johnson. BAND OF GYPSYS was markedly different from Hendrix's work with Experience, but rivals it in terms of scope, vision, and beauty.
Woodstock: Music from the Original Soundtrack and More... (CD)
$24.66 Super Savings
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 242 ratings.
Based on 242 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
20th Century Masters - The Millennium Collection: The Best... (CD)
$4.48 Super Savings
Top ranking titles in the Pop / Rock genre:
- Various Artists Get It On: The Seventies DVD Jukebox ~ $2.38 on SALE
Various Artists Sounds of The Fabulous Fifties (Limited Distribution) (3-CD Box Set) ~
$8.48 Super Savings
- Jimmy Buffett Down To Earth / High Cumberland Jubilee (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists WCBS FM101.1 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 70s (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Top Hits of the 60s - Groovy Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Pat Benatar The Best of Volume 1 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Jimmy McGriff Toast To Golden Classics (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Soft Rock 70'S (CD) ~ $5.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - JukeBox Giants, Volume 3 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE