Bob Seger Smokin' O.P.'S
LOW STOCK: Only 3 copies left
|SUPER SAVINGS:||$9.98 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$4 (29% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- by Bob Seger ~ Against The Wind (Remastered) ~ $9.45
- by Teegarden & Van Winkle ~ An Evening at Home ~ $11.35
- by Bob Seger ~ Face the Promise ~ $13.43
- by The Frost ~ Rock and Roll Music ~ $10.78
- by Bob Seger ~ Stranger in Town ~ $6.75
Products with a similar style:
- John Mellencamp Big Daddy (Definitive Remasters Series) (CD) ~ $6.74
- John Mellencamp Lonesome Jubilee (Definitive Remasters Series) (CD) ~ $6.74
- John Mellencamp Nothin' Matters And What If It Did (Remastered) (CD) ~ $9.89
- John Mellencamp Scarecrow (Definitive Remasters Series) (CD) ~ $8.34
- Released: June 7, 2005
- Originally Released: 2005
- Label: Capitol
- 1.Bo Diddley
- 2.Love The One You're With
- 3.If I Were A Carpenter
- 4.Hummin' Bird
- 5.Let It Rock
- 6.Turn On Your Light
- 7.Jesse James
- 9.Heavy Music
Personnel: Bob Seger (vocals, piano, guitar), Michael Bruce (guitar), Skip Knape (organ, organ pedal bass, piano), David Teegarden (drums, maracas).
Additional personnel: Pam Todd, Crystal Jenkins (vocals), Jack Ashford, Jim Bruzzese (tambourine), Eddie Bongo (congas).
Recorded at Pampa Studios, Detroit, Michigan.
Personnel: Bob Seger (vocals, guitar, piano); Bob Seger; Christal Jenkins (vocals, background vocals); Al Yungton (strings); Skip Knape (piano, organ, keyboards); Skip Vanwinkle, Skip Knape (piano, organ); Eddie Bongo (congas, percussion); Eddie "Bongo" Brown (congas); Jim Bruzzese (tambourine); Jim Buzzese (percussion); Pam Todd (vocals, background vocals); Michael Bruce (guitar); David Teegarden (marimba, drums, maracas); Jack Ashford (tambourine, percussion).
Audio Mixers: Mark Cooper Smith; Thomas Weschler; Jim Cassily; Mabel Louise Smith.
Liner Note Author: Bob Seger.
Recording information: Pampa Studios, Detroit, MI.
Photographers: Pete Lumetta; Thomas Weschler.
Bob Seger closed out his Capitol contract with Brand New Morning, a singer/songwriter album quite unlike anything he had yet released. Following its release he moved to the Detroit-based label Palladium and returned to hard-driving rock & roll with Smokin' O.P.'s, the polar opposite of Brand New Morning. According to legend, the title stands for "smoking other people's songs," which makes sense since this is a cover album that even covers Bob Seger & the Last Heard. In other words, it's nothing like the intimate, reflective, risky Brand New Morning, but that doesn't matter since it rocks so well and since it reveals that Seger isn't just a first-class bandleader and rock songwriter, but that he's a terrific interpreter of other writers' songs. Even well-worn tunes like "Bo Diddley" and "If I Were a Carpenter" get made fresh by internalizing the hooks, turning them into something fresh and original. That's also true of songs by such contemporaries as Stephen Stills ("Love the One You're With") and Leon Russell ("Humming Bird"), and he also breathes fire into blues and rock stalwarts like "Let It Rock," "Turn on Your Love Light," and "Jesse James." Smokin' O.P.'s closes out with two originals, one new (the fine, but not especially noteworthy "Someday") and one old (the perennial "Heavy Music"). Neither change the essential character of the album, which is just a really fun, hard-rocking record that bought Seger some time while reasserting the fact that he could really rock. He could -- and he could rock really well -- which is why Smokin' O.P.'s remains a lot of fun, even if it's a relatively minor work in Seger's canon. ~ Stephen Thomas Erlewine
20th Century Masters - The Millennium Collection: The Best... (CD)(14)
$3.99 Super Savings
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 27 ratings.
Based on 27 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Best of Chicago Garage Bands - The Quill Records Story (CD)(14)
99¢ on SALE
WCBS FM101.1 - Motown, Soul & Great Rock 'N Roll: Rock 'N... (CD)(5)
$4.98 on SALE
Top ranking CD:
- King Curtis Enjoy Records - The Best of King Curtis (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Johnny Cash Original Golden Hits, Volumes 1 & 2 (CD) ~ $6.98 on SALE
- Various Artists WCBS FM101.1 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 70s (CD) ~ $6.98 on SALE
- The Isley Brothers Shout! (CD) ~ $5.98 on SALE
- Johnny Cash Sings I Walk The Line / Sings Folsom Prison Blues (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE