Louis Prima The Wildest!
LOW STOCK: Only 2 copies left
|LABOR DAY SALE:||$8.34 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$1.64 (16% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
Products with a similar style:
- Louis Prima / Keely Smith Greatest Hits (CD) ~ $5.07
- Released: August 13, 2002
- Originally Released: 2002
- Label: Blue Note Records
Record Collector (magazine) - p.1065 stars out of 5 -- "This 1957 release is a veritable hits package....It's Prima at his prime."
- 1.Just A Gigolo / I Ain't Got Nobody
- 2.For My Baby, (Nothing's Too Good)
- 3.The Lip
- 4.Body And Soul
- 5.Oh Marie
- 6.Basin Street Blues / When It's Sleepy Time Down South
- 7.Jump, Jive, An' Wail
- 8.Buona Sera
- 9.Night Train
- 10.You Rascal You, (I'll Be Glad When You're Dead)
- 11.Five Months, Two Weeks, Two Days
- 12.Banana Split For My Baby
- 13.Whistle Stop
- 14.Be Mine (Little Baby)
Personnel includes: Louis Prima (vocals); Sam Butera (tenor saxophone); James Blount (trombone); Keely Smith (background vocals); The Witnesses.
Recorded in April 1956. Originally released on Capitol Records (T-755).
Digitally remastered by Steve Hoffman.
Personnel: Louis Prima (vocals, trumpet); Keely Smith (vocals); Jack Marshall (guitar); Sam Butera (tenor saxophone); James B;ount, Jr. (trombone); Willie McCUmber (piano); Amato Rodrigues (bass); Bobby Morris (drums).
Recorded at Capitol Studios, Los Angeles, California in April & September 1956. Originally released on Capitol (755). Includes liner notes by Michael Cuscuna.
All tracks have been digitally remastered.
The album cover of Louis Prima's THE WILDEST! perfectly captures the unabashed and ever-present enthusiasm of the famed Italian-American vocalist/trumpeter--head tilted back, mouth agape, and sporting a smile a mile wide. This 1957 record contains many of Prima's best-known songs, including the boisterous "Just a Gigolo/I Ain't Got Nobody" (covered by David Lee Roth in the '80s) and the swinging (and self-penned) "Jump, Jive, An' Wail" (revived in the '90s by the Brian Setzer Orchestra), along with the jazzy "Basin Street Blues/When It's Sleepy Time Down South," a nod to his hero and greatest influence, Louis Armstrong.
In addition to an ensemble led by saxophonist Sam Butera, Prima is joined here by his wife, the cool-as-a-cucumber singer Keely Smith, who provided the ideal counterbalance to his rowdy persona. Although THE WILDEST! is notable for its occasionally bawdy humor, it also boasts an innovative combination of early rock & roll, jump blues, and jazz. While many Prima compilations feature a wider range of material, this is the performer at his undiluted best, making it essential for his true fans.
That Old Black Magic - Louis Prima, Keely Smith, and the... (Book)
$16.46 on SALE
Sold OutSave for Later
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 7 ratings.
Based on 7 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Sounds of The Fabulous Fifties (Limited Distribution) (3-CD Box Set) ~ $8.48 LABOR DAY
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Jimmy Buffett Down To Earth / High Cumberland Jubilee (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists WCBS FM101.1 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 70s (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - JukeBox Giants, Volume 1 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE