Harry James Trumpet Blues: The Best of Harry James
|You Save:||$0.46 (5% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: August 24, 1999
- Originally Released: 1999
- Label: Blue Note Records
- 1.Trumpet Blues
- 2.James Session
- 3.Moten Swing
- 5.I'm Beginning To See The Light
- 6.Willow Weep For Me
- 7.Two O'Clock Jump
- 8.Strictly Instrumental
- 9.Sleepy Lagoon
- 10.Barn 12
- 11.I've Heard That Song Before
- 12.Blues On A Count
- 13.You Made Me Love You
- 14.Music Makers
- 15.It's Been A Long, Long Time
Personnel includes: Harry James (trumpet); Helen Forrest (vocals); Willie Smith (alto saxophone); Sam Firmature, Corky Corcoran, Pat Chartrand, Jeff Massingill (tenor saxophone); Juan Tizol (trombone); Jack Perciful, Doug Parker (piano); Allan Reuss (guitar); Buddy Rich, Gene Estes (drums).
Recorded between 1955 and 1958. Includes liner notes by Peter J. Levinson.
Digitally remastered by Ron McMaster.
Personnel: Harry James (trumpet); Helen Forrest (vocals); Allan Reuss (guitar); Willie Smith (alto saxophone); Corky Corcoran, Jeff Massingill, Sam Firmature, Pat Chartrand (tenor saxophone); Juan Tizol (trombone); Doug Parker, Jack Perciful (piano); Gene Estes, Buddy Rich (drums).
Recording information: Hollywood, CA (07/18/1955-07/01/1958).
Unknown Contributor Roles: Corky Corcoran; Harry James; Helen Forrest; Willie Smith; Buddy Rich.
Arrangers: Gray Rains; Ernie Wilkins; Dave Matthews ; Herb Lorden; Jay Hill; Marge Gibson ; Harry James; Jack Matthias; Jimmy Mundy; Neal Hefti.
Released to coincide with the publication of Peter Levinson's biography of the same name, Capitol Jazz's Trumpet Blues: The Best of Harry James is an excellent collection of 16 highlights from James' stint at Capitol between 1955 and 1958. These don't quite rank among James' very best recordings, which are generally considered to be his '30s and '40s work, but they're enjoyable latter-day waxings, finding him in a relaxed, generous mood. Among the highlights are the re-recorded title tracks and duets with Buddy Rich, Willie Smith, Corky Corcoran, and Helen Forrest. Trumpet Blues shouldn't be considered a definitive statement, but it's a nice addendum of latter-day recordings to a collection of James' classic recordings. ~ Stephen Thomas Erlewine
Harry JamesI've Heard That Song Before: The Hits of Harry James (2-CD)
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 14 ratings.
Based on 14 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Best of Chicago Garage Bands - The Quill Records Story (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- The Herd Very Best of I Can Fly (Featuring Peter Frampton) (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - JukeBox Giants, Volume 3 (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists WCBS FM101.1 - Motown, Soul & Great Rock 'N Roll: Rock 'N Roll (CD) ~ $4.98 on SALE