The Band Moondog Matinee
LOW STOCK: Only 2 copies left
|SUPER SAVINGS:||$8.34 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$1.64 (16% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: May 8, 2001
- Originally Released: 2001
- Label: Capitol
Entertainment Weekly - 5/25/01, p.81"...Their sweet homage to vintage soul..." - Rating: B+
Down Beat - 10/01, p.663 stars out of 5 - "A labor of love with the usual suspects revising r&b songs from the 50s and 60s..."
Mojo (Publisher) - 6/01, p.123"...Audibly a classic, it is the last true romantic gasp of Richard Manuel's soulful emotive wail..."
- 1.Ain't Got No Home
- 2.Holy Cow
- 3.Share Your Love With Me
- 4.Mystery Train
- 5.The Third Man Theme
- 6.The Promised Land
- 7.The Great Pretender
- 8.I'm Ready
- 10.Change Is Gonna Come
- 11.Didn't It Rain
- 12.Crying Heart Blues
- 14.What Am I Living For
- 15.Going Back To Memphis
- 16.Endless Highway
The Band: Rick Danko (bass instrument); Garth Hudson, Levon Helm, Richard Manuel, Robbie Robertson.
Personnel: Robbie Robertson (vocals, guitar, keyboards); Levon Helm (vocals, guitar, drums); Rick Danko (vocals, violin); Richard Manuel (vocals, keyboards, drums); Ben Keith (steel guitar); Garth Hudson (saxophone, keyboards).
Audio Mixers: Mark Harman; Andrew Sandoval.
Liner Note Authors: Chris Morris; Rob Bowman.
Recording information: Bearsville Sound Studios, Bearsville, NY (1971); Capitol Studios, Hollywood, CA (1971); New York, NY (1971).
Photographer: Bob Gruen.
The Band started their career with two stunningly perfect albums in '68 and '69 (MUSIC FROM BIG PINK and THE BAND, respectively). An edgy comment on their newfound fame, STAGE FRIGHT, came in '70. Then an album of scattered focus (CAHOOTS) and a brilliant live retrospective (ROCK OF AGES) followed over the next two years. Whether or not the well of new material was running dry, The Band wisely chose to take some of the pressure off by revisiting their days as The Hawks for this 1973 set of covers.
From the Levon Helm-sung "Ain't Got No Home" (the Clarence "Frogman" Henry song) which opens the set, to the soaring Richard Manuel vocal on Sam Cooke's "A Change Is Gonna Come," everything and everybody shines here. Robbie Robertson's sassy riffing on "Mystery Train," Garth Hudson's oozing and undulating organ beds, and that always- perfect rhythm section--this is a brilliant display of great interpretive skills wedded to great songs. This album of covers set a standard to which other similar projects are always compared.
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 25 ratings.
Based on 25 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Top ranking titles in the Pop / Rock genre:
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock (10-CD Set) ~ $19.98 on SALE
- Various Artists KFRC 99.7FM - Motown, Soul & Rock 'N Roll: Rock 'N Roll (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Summer Hits: 47-Song Collection (3-CD) ~ $8.98 on SALE
- Various Artists WJMK 104.3 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 60s (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
Top ranking CD:
- Johnny Cash Original Golden Hits, Volumes 1 & 2 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- The Isley Brothers Shout! (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Burl Ives The Best of Little Bitty Tear (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Top Hits of the 80s: 18 Original Hits (Wooden Gift Box) (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Country Top Hits of the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s (4-CD) ~ $19.98 on SALE