Donald Byrd Street Lady
|SUPER SAVINGS:||$8.84 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$1.14 (11% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
Products with a similar style:
- Bobbi Humphrey The Best of Bobbi Humphrey [Blue Note / Capitol] (CD) ~ $10.78
- Bobbi Humphrey Blacks And Blues (CD) ~ $8.84
- Lou Donaldson Different Scene / Color As A Way of Life (CD) ~ $7.49 (Save 50%)
- Released: 1997
- Originally Released: 1997
- Label: Blue Note Records
- 1.Lansana's Priestess
- 2.Miss Kane
- 3.Sister Love
- 4.Street Lady
- 5.Witch Hunt
- 6.Woman Of The World
Personnel: Donald Byrd (vocals, trumpet, fluegelhorn); Fonce Mizell (vocals, trumpet, clavinet); Fred Perren (vocals, ARP synthesizer); Larry Mizell (vocals); Roger Glenn (flute); Jerry Peters (piano, Fender Rhodes piano); David T. Walker (guitar); Chuck Rainey (electric bass); Harvey Mason (drums); King Erricson (congas); Stephanie Spruill (percussion).
Producer: Larry Mizell.
Reissue producers: Michael Cuscuna, Tom Evered.
Recorded at the Sound Factory, Hollywood, California from June 13-15, 1973.
This is part of the Blue Note Records Rare Groove series.
Not so much a fusion album as an attempt at mainstream soul and R&B, Street Lady plays like the soundtrack to a forgotten blaxploitation film. Producer/arranger/composer Larry Mizell conceived Street Lady as a concept album to a spirited, independent prostitute, and while the hooker with a heart of gold concept is a little trite, the music uncannily evokes an urban landscape circa the early '70s. Borrowing heavily from Curtis Mayfield, Isaac Hayes, and Sly Stone, Donald Byrd and Mizell have created an album that is overflowing with wah-wah guitars, stuttering electric pianos, percolating percussion, soaring flutes, and charmingly anemic, tuneless vocals. It's certainly not jazz, or even fusion, but it isn't really funk or R&B, either -- the rhythms aren't elastic enough, and all of the six songs are simply jazzy vamps without clear hooks. But the appeal of Street Lady is how its polished neo-funk and pseudo-fusion sound uncannily like a jive movie or television soundtrack from the early '70s -- you can picture the Street Lady, decked out in polyester, cruising the streets surrounded by pimps with wide-brimmed hats and platform shoes. And while that may not be ideal for jazz purists, it's perfect for kitsch and funk fanatics. ~ Stephen Thomas Erlewine
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 8 ratings.
Based on 8 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Somebody's Been Sleeping / 100 Proof Aged In Soul [Import] (CD)
$11.12 Super Savings
20th Century Masters: The Millennium Collection: Best of Atl (CD)
$3.99 Super Savings
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Garage Band Halloween, Volume 2 (CD) ~ $1.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Garage Band Halloween, Volume 1 (CD) ~ $3.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - The 60's, Part 1 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Sounds of The Fabulous Fifties (Limited Distribution) (3-CD Box Set) ~ $9.98 on SALE