Sarah Vaughan With Count Basie And His Orchestra
LOW STOCK: Only 2 copies left
|You Save:||$1.30 (10% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- by Sarah Vaughan ~ The Best of 20th Century Masters / Millennium Collection ~ $4.48
- by Sarah Vaughan ~ The Benny Carter Sessions: The Explosive Side of Sarah Vaughan / The Lonely Hours ~ $16.79
- by Sarah Vaughan / Duke Ellington ~ The Duke Ellington Songbook, Volume 2 ~ $10.56
- by Sarah Vaughan / Clifford Brown ~ Sarah Vaughan with Clifford Brown ~ $17.08
- by Sarah Vaughan / Count Basie ~ Send in the Clowns [Pablo] ~ $10.56
- Released: March 16, 2015
- Originally Released: 1996
- Label: Blue Note Records
JazzTimes - 10/96, p.117"...Although the leader's seat at the piano was filled by Kirk Stuart, Sarah's accompanist at the time, the band still functioned in its most professional mode..."
- 2.Lover Man
- 3.I Cried For You
- 5.There Are Such Things
- 6.Mean To Me
- 7.The Gentleman Is A Dope
- 8.You Go To My Head
- 9.Until I Met You
- 10.You Turned The Tables On Me
- 11.Little Man (You've Had A Busy Day)
- 12.Teach Me Tonight
- 13.If I Were A Bell
- 14.Until I Met You
Personnel: Sarah Vaughan, Joe Williams (vocals); Frank Foster (arranger, tenor saxophone); Thad Jones (arranger, trumpet); Ernie Wilkins (arranger); Frank Wess (alto & tenor saxophones, flute); Marshall Royal (alto saxophone, clarinet); Billy Mitchell (tenor saxophone); Charlie Fowlkes (baritone saxophone, flute); Sonny Cohn, Joe Newman, Snooky Young (trumpet); Henry Coker, Al Grey, Benny Powell (trombone); Kirk Stuart (piano); Freddie Green (guitar); Eddie Jones (bass); Sonny Payne (drums).
Reissue producer: Michael Cuscuna.
Recorded at Capitol Studios, New York, New York in July 1960 and January 1961. Includes liner notes by James Gavin.
Personnel: Count Basie (piano); Sarah Vaughan (vocals); Joe Williams (vocals); Freddie Green (guitar); Frank Wess (flute, alto saxophone, tenor saxophone); Charlie Fowlkes (flute, baritone saxophone); Marshall Royal (clarinet, alto saxophone); Frank Foster , Billy Mitchell (tenor saxophone); Joe Newman , Snooky Young, Thad Jones, Sonny Cohn (trumpet); Henry Coker, Al Grey, Benny Powell (trombone); Kirk Stuart (piano); Sonny Payne (drums).
Liner Note Author: James Gavin.
Recording information: Capitol Studios, NY (07/1960-01/1961).
Arrangers: Ernie Wilkins; Frank Foster ; Thad Jones.
While this album is misleadingly titled (Count Basie doesn't appear on the record at all--the piano is actually played by Kirk Stuart), it's a brilliant teaming of the Count Basie Orchestra and the legendary Sarah Vaughan. Basie's legacy was largely due to his band leading skills, and he rarely featured himself on record or in concert; to hear the sound and approach that Basie's sidemen use is to hear the musical conception and style of Basie himself.
"Perdido" and "Alone" showcase Sarah Vaughan's incredible range and perfectly controlled vibrato, and "Teach Me Tonight" and "If I Were a Bell" feature Vaughan with Joe Williams, the latter featuring the two singing icons trading lyrics back and forth. Marked by wonderful Thad Jones arrangements, COUNT BASIE AND SARAH VAUGHAN swings hard, and melts the heart.
Benny GoodmanArrangements By Eddie Sauter / Arrangements By Fletcher... (CD)
$10.98 on SALE
Benny GoodmanBenny In Brussels, Volume 1 / Benny In Brussels, Volume 2 (CD)
$4.98 on SALE
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 15 ratings.
Based on 15 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- The Duprees For Collectors Only: 47-Song Collection (2-CD) ~ $6.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Retrospective Classic Rock (3CD) ~ $7.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Country Top Hits of the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s (4-CD) ~ $19.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Retrospective Early Rock & Roll (3CD) ~ $7.98 on SALE