The Band Northern Lights-Southern Cross [Bonus Tracks]
LOW STOCK: Only 2 copies left
|LABOR DAY SALE:||$8.34 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$1.64 (16% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: May 8, 2001
- Originally Released: 2001
- Label: Capitol
Entertainment Weekly - 5/25/01, p.81"...Their last great album before their 1976 breakup...featuring Robbie Robertson's most tender love songs..." - Rating: A-
Down Beat - 10/01, p.664 stars out of 5 - "...The Band placed their star high up in the rock firmament again with this album in '75..."
Mojo (Publisher) - 6/01, p.123"...Proved their artistic swansong, with Robbie Robertson once more composing material equal to Dylan's: 'Ophelia'; 'Acadian Driftwood' and the heartbreaking 'It Makes No Difference'..."
- 1.Forbidden Fruit
- 2.Hobo Jungle
- 4.Acadian Driftwood
- 5.Ring Your Bell
- 6.It Makes No Difference
- 7.Jupiter Hollow
- 8.Rags And Bones
- 10.Christmas Must Be Tonight
The Band: Robbie Robertson (vocals, guitar); Richard Manuel (vocals, piano, organ, Clavinet); Rick Danko (vocals, bass); Levon Helm (vocals, drums); Garth Hudson (soprano saxophone, woodwinds, piccolo, accordion, organ, synthesizer, brass).
Engineers include: Ed Anderson, Nat Jeffrey.
Recorded at Shangri-La Studio, Zuma Beach, California. Originally released on Capitol.
Digitally remastered by Larry Walsh (Capitol Recording Studios).
Personnel: Robbie Robertson (vocals, guitar, acoustic guitar, electric guitar, melodica, piano, Clavinet, keyboards); Levon Helm (vocals, guitar, drums); Rick Danko (vocals, electric guitar, violin, harmonica); Richard Manuel (vocals, piano, electric piano, Clavinet, keyboards, drums, congas); Garth Hudson (chant, piccolo, accordion, woodwinds, saxophone, soprano saxophone, brass, organ, keyboards, synthesizer); Byron Berline (violin, fiddle).
Audio Mixers: Nat Jeffrey; Garth Hudson; Rick Danko; Rob Fraboni; Robbie Robertson.
Audio Remasterer: Larry Walsh.
Liner Note Authors: Christopher Morris; Chris Morris.
Recording information: Shangri-La Studios, Zuma Beach, CA.
Photographer: Reid Miles.
Unknown Contributor Role: Garth Hudson.
When this album was released in 1975 it was The Band's first album of new material in four years. Though the intervening period had brought forth the brilliant ROCK OF AGES live album and an exuberant set of covers, MOONDOG MATINEE, nay-sayers feared The Band were buying time and that their creative well had perhaps run dry.
NORTHERN LIGHTS, SOUTHERN CROSS was greeted as a triumph and a return to form after the less focused CAHOOTS. With only eight songs, they let the mood of each find its true and proper length. From the sly "Ophelia" to the evocative "Acadian Driftwood," the songs embrace character and a sense of place in the best possible ways. "It Makes No Difference" shows their perfect sense of knowing which of their three fine singers to use for each type of song. And the playing is, as always, exemplary.
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 35 ratings.
Based on 35 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Top ranking titles in the Pop / Rock genre:
- Various Artists Sounds of The Fabulous Fifties (Limited Distribution) (3-CD Box Set) ~ $8.48 LABOR DAY
- Various Artists WCBS FM101.1 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 70s (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Jimmy Buffett Down To Earth / High Cumberland Jubilee (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Get It On: The Seventies DVD Jukebox ~ $2.38 on SALE
Top ranking CD:
- Johnny Cash Original Golden Hits, Volumes 1 & 2 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Pat Benatar The Best of Volume 1 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Soft Rock 70'S (CD) ~ $5.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock (10-CD Set) ~ $19.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - JukeBox Giants, Volume 2 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE